Cleaning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an efficient way to clean the flexible siphon tubing ? I had mine soaking overnight in oxyclean, and it still has a cloudy haze to it.
I've found brushes thin enough to fit inside the tubing, but not nearly long enough.

Yeah, that cloudy haze is what happens over time, especially when it sits in star san, etc. Don't worry about the haze, it's just the vinyl. A soak in PBW might clear it up, but I dunno. It's just cosmetic, so if you can live with it, it'll be fine and won't affect your brew.

yeah mine is forever yellow from many uses and sanitation with iodophor. But still works with no problems

I try to rotate out my tubing once in a while, usually when I notice them getting hard and not flexible. Other than that they are stained by iodophor quickly, after that I don't even see the oxyclean haze.

Thanks for all of the input. I have another 5' piece en route, but I didn't want to wait until Tuesday to rack the one batch to the secondary and bottle the other.

I soaked the tubing I have in One Step for an hour or so, and rinsed it well, and that seemed to help a LOT. Maybe the OxyClean didn't get quite far enough into the tubing while it was soaking last time.

I think that I will rotate the old tubing to blow-off tube duty, and use the new one for racking.

Thanks again for all of the help.

karl

Back