Stera-Sheen Restaurant Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it cheaper than star-san? I doubt it.

I didn't see it stating its no-rinse...just that it leaves a non-toxic residue. that residue could cause off flavors, or kill all beer head.

*shrugs*

I'd stick with star-san since it was developed for commercial brewery use...not ice cream machines.

This is a chlorine based sanitizer, and I would not use it, it may leave a non-toxic residue, but it may cause flavor issues in beer. +1 on the Star San advice.

you guys use star san in your kegs? i just used it for the first time yesterday in my carboy. i'm looking for a consitant way to sanitize my kegs. used to much iodofore(<----ya'll know what i mean) in a pale i just did and i can taste it. yuck!

If chlorine is in contact with SS for any extended period time causes cracking. I have seen it in the refining industry.

Hey -- my first post to the forums! Just wanted to add a note that as a total newbie I used Stera Sheen for my first batch. The bottles are about to hit the three week mark, and from what I've tested so far there is no head and the beer has a slightly fizzy quality. So, the Stera Sheen is out and Star San is in. I have another Stera Sheen batch about ready to bottle -- a stout -- so I'll see how that one comes out.

Hey -- my first post to the forums! Just wanted to add a note that as a total newbie I used Stera Sheen for my first batch. The bottles are about to hit the three week mark, and from what I've tested so far there is no head and the beer has a slightly fizzy quality. So, the Stera Sheen is out and Star San is in. I have another Stera Sheen batch about ready to bottle -- a stout -- so I'll see how that one comes out.

If those beers are just about to hit the three week mark, your "problem" could just as easily simply be because the beers aren't carbed fully yet. 3 weeks is usually the minimum many beers takes. Your beers might not be there yet and not because of the sanitizer. Won't really know for awhile.

Thanks Revvy! You have given me hope. The good news is that the first batch tastes good -- if the cleaner has caused any problems it doesn't seem to be with the taste very much. I'll post an update once the first batch matures more and after I've seen how the stout comes out.

Back