Quick! I need an awesome burger recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on making burgers tonight. Plain 85/15 ground beef.

I bought some onion soup packets to use in them, but now I'm hoping to find some tips on how to really make them awesome.

Family really liked it when I added ranch or onion seasoning packets, and I've had good luck with "gourmet burger" or "Montreal Steak" seasonings mixed in.

Any advice on stuffing a burger?

Had some stuffed with ham, shredded cheese, and roasted red peppers just last night. Kicked all kinds of ***. Mushrooms would probably be good instead of the peppers, if you're so inclined.

Lean ground sirloin with shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions, diced bacon an a fair amount of salt and crushed black peppercorns mixed in with the ground meat usually works really well for me.

I just ate lunch and you guys are making me hungry already!

I just happened to have some ground pork that I wasn't quite sure what to do with. That's an idea.

As far as the ham, cheese, etc., do you recommend stuffing a burger, or just mixing in?

It was sliced ham, so we stuffed. I suppose you could mix it in, that might be interesting. Honestly, yeahfairly's recipe sounds way better.

I make burgers with finely diced onion, egg, breadcrumbs and milk mixed in. Makes juicy tasty burgers. I've toyed with the idea of using green olive (my wife loves green olive), peppers, or other things instead of the onion, but I like onion. :)

I always use 2/3 80:20 chuck and 1/3 ground italian sausage in my burger mix. If you have good italian sausage, salt and pepper will be all the seasoning you need. Goes especially well with cheddar, havarti etc. Try it sometime.

Add a little bit of brown sugar to the meat, along with seasonings of your choice. The resulting caramelization makes for awesome crust.

I love stuffing burgers... (giggity)... its so fun and easy to experiment. Started by taking the recipes we enjoyed at restaurants.

Blue cheese, Worcestershire, chives, hot sauce... salt/pepper/mustard.
Swiss cheese, monteray jack, mushrooms, chopped onions and bacon.

Thanks for helping me decide what to have for dinner tonight.

I always add an egg to the mix. If there isn't much to it, sometimes I add some breadcrumbs as well.

Stuffing burgers is an art. There used to be a place in Charleston SC (on James Island) called the Messy Cow or something. Great stuffed burgers, but most of the time with the first bite, all the filling came out the other side so you ended up eating your burger with a knife and fork. Or two spoons, I guess.

Olives are out for the rest of the family. I could be talked into topping mine with some mayo and olives, though.

I would have to thaw the ground pork for tonight, so I might chop the sliced ham up and use it instead this time. Lots of good ideas here.

And my night just got busy.

Clear logs and rake small brush from yard.
Mow back yard.
Meet plumber at mom's.
Take kid to dance.
Cook awesome burgers...

I first started stuffing burgers in the 70's after watching the 7up TV ad for their "unburger". Thinly sliced tomato, onion & cheese in the middle. But it was hard to keep sealed up when frying or grilling.The grill mates Chipotle & Roasted Garlic seasoning is good in the pit. I've also formed ground chuck into a rectangle, then add a layer of ground pork, seasoned with sage, garlic & onion powder with salt & pepper mixed into the pork layer. Ground beef seasoned with cajun seasoning or the chipotle-roasted garlic. Then roll it up like a jelly roll. Use a long piece of thread to cut 1" thick slices by pulling it under the meat roll, wrap around the roll & slowly pull it tight to cut slices. They don't smash that way. Even wrapped bacon around the edges with a toothpick before grilling or smoking in the pit. Or mushrooms & Velveeta in the center with French onion soup mix in the ground chuck. Stuffed burgers generally need meat that doesn't shrink too much.

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures AGAIN!

I went with Onion Soup packet and Worcestershire Sauce with shredded colby jack cheese all mixed into the burger. Then formed patties and grilled on low.

I added tomato, mayo and olives for mine.

Everyone loved them! I'll be honest, though, I really thought some chopped jalapenos would have gone great in there as well. Or some pepper jack cheese, but we didn't have any other cheese.

Had some baked beans on the side and a glass of homebrew Witbier.

Latest posts

Back