Sour Swap #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a modified rip-off from Two-hearted's last swap thread!

This is a Sour/Wild beer swap only!

Consider local/regional beers if you have access- use www.seekabrew.com to assist in finding beers that are outside of your recipient's distribution if possible, though this is not a requirement.

REQUIREMENTS:

-must be a sour/wild beer.
- Total volume minimum is 88 oz of sour beer.
-Sour beer only. These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus. 100% Brett beers are fine.
- Extra beer, brewery swag, homebrew, or other weird regional staples are optional but encouraged. This is a very generous crowd so don't be surprised if you receive a ton of extra beer!
- While you don't need to send local beer, it is highly encouraged to check www.seekabrew.com to see what is distributed to your recipient's locale. Its always nice to try something new!
-PM me your tracking info when shipped!

EXCLUSIONS & LIMITATIONS:
Widely distributed sour beers both domestic and foreign are excluded from the 88oz minimum.
Excluded: Rodenbach, Duchess du B. Timmermans, Monk's Cafe, Petrus, Jacobins, Lindemans, etc. The only exceptions to this would be the highly desirable Cantillon, Drei Fonteinen, Hannssens, Fantome, and others.

Limited: Goose Island, Bells, New Belgium, and The Bruery beers are so widely distributed as well. These will be permitted, but only one bottle will count toward the 88oz minimum requirement. Berliner Weisse style beers can be included but only one bottle will count toward the minimum requirement.
Saison or Farmhouse style beers are excluded unless they are widely accepted to be funky, or if you obtain permission from me. Eligible saison producers currently include: Prairie, Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, St. Somewhere, Crooked Stave, (others added pending approval)

- You are to ship your box BY Nov 14th. (I will have provide updates as needed). -PM me your tracking info when shipped!
- 100 post minimum to be eligible.

NEW MEMBER CLAUSE:
- I will allow 3 exemptions to this so as to allow some newer members entry. However, if you are one of the 3 under the 100 post minimum you will be expected to ship first. The member with your address will not ship until we have word that your package has landed safely. (If you are shipping to someone with over 100 posts you will ship as soon as you have your package ready, like normal)

To get in on the goods!:
Send me a PM that you would like to join with your shipping info. Shazaam, you’re in. I will keep all your info private (aside from the dude/lady shipping to you).

I am not going to cap this swap. I will give it a week and then I will designate who you are shipping to. After that point, I will take new people on a after that point and can arrange for a 3 way swap if someone agrees to.

Once I have my list of who ships where, I'll pm each person their address. Keep this secret, it'll make it more fun! You will then be expected to ship your beer, abiding by the rules above. Please pm me your tracking number when shipped. We will all post our awesome hauls when received and enjoy!

Also, don't forget to leave iTrader feedback and don't forget to post pics of your beer!

The forum is not responsible for anyone that abuses this swap, we all take equal risk in participating. Any and all deadbeats who do not ship beer will be sentenced to run the stone gauntlet and will be handed over to the mods for proper shaming.

Shipping
If you're new to shipping "yeast samples", please inquire here. There is a lot of collective knowledge on how to ship with ease. Individually wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, make sure there's no glass on glass action, everything should be immobilized, everything should be put into a thick garbage/compactor bag to contain any spills if beer should break. Don't ship with USPS.

Let me know if you have any questions.
TD

Participants (I'll try to keep this updated)
TrickyDick
Abeasst
Geoffey
lotbfan
BigPerm
Belavida

Interesting Exclusions/Limitations
Surprised to see Saint Somewhere anywhere near that list of other "saison" producers, then saw your location.

Gonna hold off for now.
Hope this takes off!

Thanks for putting this together TD! Looking forward to sending out some killer sours in 2-3 weeks. Been holding on to a couple since just after sour swap #2.

PM sent, never done one of these before, but as I live in the land of Deschutes, Cascade, The Commons, Block 15, and de Garde I am pretty sure I have something someone wants.

I've never managed one before either. I was fairly restrictive in the format which could be the reason.
If any folks want to join up I'm leaving this open for one more week. If any folks wanted to join but decided not to, would be nice to know if there is a reason (such as too restrictive on what is permitted).

Just seems silly to be sending stuff cross county when you can already buy it in your own town. That's why I've setup as I have, so that it's better for all when your box arrives.

TD

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never managed one before either. I was fairly restrictive in the format which could be the reason.
If any folks want to join up I'm leaving this open for one more week. If any folks wanted to join but decided not to, would be nice to know if there is a reason (such as too restrictive on what is permitted).

Just seems silly to be sending stuff cross county when you can already buy it in your own town. That's why I've setup as I have, so that it's better for all when your box arrives.

TD

For one. Restrictions like goose island or bruery, which MAY make mediocre beers do make some fantastic sours/wilds.

Berliner weisse is one of my favorite "sour" styles, also one of the easiest to get.

No "saisons/farmhouse" I don't get. If it has brett/lacto/pedio, those are "souring bacterias"

When you take all the trust out of trading it takes the fun out also.

...and lets face it, saint somewhere is nowhere near that list of "top saison producers" which is also a joke.

No offense at all, just some flaws that I see.

Bottom line, use www.seekabrew.com to see what your recipient does not get in his area.

So noted.

To clarify the restrictions and limitations, my intention was to make it fun to get new beers that you cannot buy locally.
Bruery NB and Goose are widely available though so why mail something across the country when you can get it in your home town? That also makes trades less fun. That's why I limited those to one bottle per brewery.

I didn't intend to exclude The saison/farmhouse "style", which is so loose and wide open that it is difficult to even define, and that within this class, there is wide variation, with most commercial examples likely not containing souring bacteria or brettanomyces. If it's got them in it, then it's fine.

I thought I'd offer to organize since its been some time. This wasn't just for my benefit but for us all. If you think the restrictions and limitations are taking the fun out of it, you probably aren't the only one who thinks so given the limited number of participants. That said, what changes would you like to see in the format? I'm open minded.

As far as Berliner weisse, well it is not my favorite style, though I do enjoy occasionally. I don't see any for sale where I live besides Bells oarsman, so for me at least it's not the easiest to come by, and perhaps that's why I put the stipulation in there. If other folks want to eliminate the one bottle BW limit I'd go along with that.

Thanks

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For one. Restrictions like goose island or bruery, which MAY make mediocre beers do make some fantastic sours/wilds.

Berliner weisse is one of my favorite "sour" styles, also one of the easiest to get.

No "saisons/farmhouse" I don't get. If it has brett/lacto/pedio, those are "souring bacterias"

When you take all the trust out of trading it takes the fun out also.

...and lets face it, saint somewhere is nowhere near that list of "top saison producers" which is also a joke.

No offense at all, just some flaws that I see.

Bottom line, use www.seekabrew.com to see what your recipient does not get in his area.

I think you misunderstood some of the op, johnny. He did specify that saisons/farmhouse are allowed as long as they are for sure funky. And he didnt say st. Somewhere or anyone was a "top saison producer".

I do agree though, there were a lot of restrictions. I think trickydick is just trying to help keep people from sending a beer the guy can just buy on the shelf, which ive seen plenty in these swaps.

Trickydick, you could probably just leave it at checking seekabrew. If they get goose island, then no sending any goose island, for example.

I do like your restrictions on some of the imports though. People dont always know if a guy gets them, most do. I think that section of your guidelines is great.

OK,

we are up to 6 for this one so far. I'll keep it open for a few more days I'm thinking, in order to give folks a chance to pack their box and ship by the deadline which is Nov 14 (Friday). How about this Friday a cut-off day for folks wanting to join.

Please be sure you've all PM'd me with your shipping information. I'll send out your recipient addresses on either Friday or Saturday (7th or 8th).

Thanks

TD

Would like to close this down tomorrow at Noon EST so I can get recipients assigned and sent. If you haven't given me your name and shipping address please do so. I think one person left their name out.

recipients have been emailed to everyone.

Have fun putting together your boxes! That's the most fun (well, besides drinking them)!

Please PM me with the tracking number of your box. Remember do NOT use USPS.

I am shipping my box soon with twelve bottles of sour goodness!!!! BiF!!

TD

My box is packed, and tagged.
Swag: check!
Sour Beer: check!
Funky Beer: check!
Sour and Funky beer: check!
sour homebrew: check!
blasted the 88 oz minimum to smithereens: check and double check!
35 Pounds is headed west. Be sure to look for a note I left in my box about the homebrews.
Drop off at UPS tomorrow.

TD

My box is packed, and tagged.
Swag: check!
Sour Beer: check!
Funky Beer: check!
Sour and Funky beer: check!
sour homebrew: check!
blasted the 88 oz minimum to smithereens: check and double check!
35 Pounds is headed west. Be sure to look for a note I left in my box about the homebrews.
Drop off at UPS tomorrow.

TD

That sounds freaking awesome. I started pulling my box together last night. Hopefully it will be as awesome as yours! There's one bottle in there I've been holding onto and waiting to send since March.

Dropping my box off at UPS tomorrow. Recall deadline ship before date, so that we can have something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. Please be sure to send me the Tracking numbers so that I can forward to the recipients.

TD

All boxed up and shipping out tomorrow. I don't think I could have crammed anything else in that box. I hope the receiving end loves that collection as much as I do.

BTW, whoever it is that gets my box, I want to do some trading with your state, hit me up when you open your package and we can talk :)

:mug:

Folks,

Seems Mother Nature is in a punishing mood with the cold weather so soon.
If you fear your box is going to freeze and burst bottles, feel free to hold off on shipping and use your best judgement but please make your recipient aware. I'd be willing to lax up a bit on the deadline if forecasts predict above freezing temps around the corner.

My bird has flown and I hope there is no issue. Looked up freezing points and between 5-10% ABV seems that freeze point is between 28-25°. Not sure if that applies to carbonated and pressurized beer bottles. Keeping my fingers crossed!! Hopefully some Floridian warmth is retained in the packaging and the styrofoam insert should help a bit...

TD

With weather up here in MN not projected to get above 20 until Wednesday of next week it's probably best that I hold off on shipping until then. I received a box this week which had some partially frozen beer, I figure better safe than sorry. I just don't know how long this box will spend in the back of a truck.

So anyone shipping to MN if you want to wait a week I think it will be better. Supposed to get warmer temps after Wednesday next week.

With weather up here in MN not projected to get above 20 until Wednesday of next week it's probably best that I hold off on shipping until then. I received a box this week which had some partially frozen beer, I figure better safe than sorry. I just don't know how long this box will spend in the back of a truck.

So anyone shipping to MN if you want to wait a week I think it will be better. Supposed to get warmer temps after Wednesday next week.

Your porch Bomb will be shipped next week Geoffey. Hang in there!

Looks like Bigperm, that your porch bomb is also delayed due to sub-freezing temps....

Two boxes are in-transit.
delayed shipping also in effect for your box if you are: Abeasst, Lotbfan, Geoffey, Bigperm.

Thought a Nov 14 ship deadline would've been fine. Seems like a frosty punch in the face from Mother Nature came a little early this year.

TD

Mine went out this morning. The weather looked to be above freezing in OR this week.

Three boxes have shipped.
One has landed, two in transit with tracking numbers sent.

of the three remaining, one has a tentative ship date monday.
the other two are on hold pending weather forecasts which show better temperature.
Hang in there! I'll send a PM when I get the tracking numbers.
Tomorrow morning I fly to Cancun for a mini vacation. Returning Sunday. If I am not in contact its because I have no mobile access.

TD

Porch bomb

1416329457934.jpg

Learning to use new phone and hbt app.
Lotbfan totally kills it with this box! Included some swag and a bottle of the abyss to be enjoyed along with a note about blending 1/2 abyss and 1/2 dissident, called abyssident!
Totally blown away with this. All bottles intact.
Thanks!!
TD

Lotbfan totally kills it with this box! Included some swag and a bottle of the abyss to be enjoyed along with a note about blending 1/2 abyss and 1/2 dissident, called abyssident!
Thanks!!
TD

Daaaaaaaaaaamn! Nice!! Lotbfan, we still need to work out a trade! :mug:

It looks like the weather will give us a break next week. Got my box packed up and sending Friday for an early next week delivery, so my recipient will have by Thanksgiving, for sure.

Looking forward to some more swap pics!

Thanks!!
TD

We have four traditional Thanksgiving beer drinks in our household, Mother of all Storms from Pelican (perennial visitor favorite), the hot mulled glueh kriek from Cascade (wife's favorite), the Figgy Pudding from Block 15 (my brothers favorite), and the Abyssident (my favorite)... we have a lot to be thankful for up here in Oregon, I just wanted to share the love :)

Enjoy some cervezas for me TD!

Got my box all packed up last night and will be dropping off at FedEx tomorrow (finally some above freezing weather coming up here!). Hopefully is will land on Wednesday next week somewhere east of MN...

My box shipped today. Assuming no delays, will land on Tuesday!

Thanks!!
TD

OFF...THE...CHARTS:cross:

So just got home from trip to Cancun.
All boxes have been shipped, and recipients have been PM'ed with tracking numbers.

Now we wait to see the pics of the other porch bombs!
There may be two others boxes that have landed by now.

TD

Everything arrived safely, really looking forward to this Wicked Weed!

Do we get to know who our trade partners are? I want to leave some +++ feedback on itrader!

Everything arrived safely, really looking forward to this Wicked Weed!

Do we get to know who our trade partners are? I want to leave some +++ feedback on itrader!

Oh man, Wicked Weed,... Totally jealous! I've had two of their sours and both were among the best sour beers I've tried to date. Nice score!

Back