Brew Sculpture ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but.....I have been looking at brew sculptures and wondered if anyone has built one/has plans for one.
I have never done any all grain brewing yet and am not real clear on the series of events. How would a three tier system be utilized? :confused: What would the steps in the process be?

I built mine. It's made a big difference in my brew day.

Here's how I use it.
1) add the strike water to the MLT (2nd tier) and start heating with the burner under it (drink a HB)
2) once the strike water is up to temp, add grains and dough in (drink a HB)
3) about 1/2 way through the mash, add sparge water to HLT (3rd tier) and start heating with the burner under it (drink a HB)
4) once mash is done, sparge/lauter (using your favorite technique) into the boil kettle (1st tier) and begin the boil (drink 2 HBs)
5) chill the wort (using your favorite technique) and xfer into the fermenter (drink a HB)

I can give you the dimensions if you want. I just drew it out on paper, got out the chop saw and the welder (1st time) and went to town. :D

I've got the pump now, but it's not necessary. It just gives me the option to do some things like recirculate the mash and recirculate through my CFC back into BK. Since I built it intentionally low, I can't gravity drain from the BK, so I used to use a wort wizard before I bought the pump.

DSCN2508.JPG

Sparky, pretty sweet set-up. If you have a plan, send it my way. It would be greatly appreciated. What do you figure you have into it, cost wise?

The steel was free. It was 2" scrap I got from a family member - probably saved me $100 (new steel prices), but I think 2" steel is a little overkill except for the center post. The burners and plumbing probably cost ~ $75. Kegs with fittings were ~ $250. The pump was $120.

The design is really simple. Each tier is 24" apart. Each tier has a U welded onto the center post. The inside width of the U is 8" or 10" - I can't remember. The bottom tier is 8" above the base, and the base is just 2x ~1.5' pieces connecting the center post to ~4' legs. It only took about 2 hours to weld it together, and that was my first time using a welder. The plumbing took a while to figure out. If I did it over again - and I did when I helped my dad - I would do it all hard plumbed. Here's what his looks like. I think it's a cleaner design.

199899455-M.jpg

Just picked up my mail and the new BYO is in. They have plans for the brutus ten setup in it. Looks like the shizzle.....

Yeah...I saw that! I wonder why he released the plans, I know he was selling them before. That's a great system....and it uses some unique build concepts, such as the "Gas Beam". I'd worry about blowing myself up!

Latest posts

Back