Why am I farting more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
It may be a coincidence, but ever since I have been drinking homebrew, I fart like a racehorse. I pour the bottle carefully and dump the last 1/2 oz. Do I need to go on beano to keep the peace with my SWMBO?

The yeast is still working in your system. Try a German Hefeweizen and see it the velocity improves.

Your body will adjust to it.

I walked around sounding like a trombone for the first month or so. Now I drink even more than at that time and I'm lucky to squeeze out a squeeker after a bowl of chili.

I never noticed a difference once I started drinking my homebrew, but then again I probably rip at least a dozen good ones a day. SWMBO *loves* is when I do that. :rockin:

You're drinking a carbonated beverage. The gas either comes up, or it goes down. :)

Young beer may be the problem, I had one yesterday that was 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 1-1/2 weeks bottled.

Looks like I'll have to do a scientific study a drink many more homebrews and chart the results.

Regarding 12 splurts a day, that was my average pre-homebrew. I'm now in the 30-40 a day. And they are not as dry as they used to be.

Is there anything out there people are taking to counteract, or should I let nature take it's course.

gonzo brewer said:
Regarding 12 splurts a day, that was my average pre-homebrew. I'm now in the 30-40 a day. And they are not as dry as they used to be.

I get off a dozen or so *good* ones a day on average. I don't count the ones that don't make me laugh outloud at least a little bit.

As an aside, cabbage has officially been banned from my household. Between me, SWMBO and the kids I was ready to put a big baggie up around the house, put up caution tape and have it declared a toxic waste site.

It's the unfermented sugars in the beer mixing with the yeast and bacteria in your colon. That stuff gets kick started in your gut - the yeast fermenting the sweet-poo and the bacteria fermenting the sugars the yeast couldn't get to. It all comes together gloriously in a way that says "Woman! Leave me alone!"

Enjoy the cloud you'll walk around in for the next week or so.

wow, this might be the best topic i have read in a while. its a good thing one of my roommates isn't a beer drinker (i know how thats even possible while in college) cuz he already has some tremendous fart power as it is, i dont even want to know what he would be like with some homebrews in him (ok so maybe i am curious just how outrageous it would get)

Um, my 8 week old farts ALL the time!!!

It makes me think that we were just born farting.
Beer is just another good excuse to eek one out!!!

EdWort said:
The yeast is still working in your system. Try a German Hefeweizen and see it the velocity improves.

Ha! I can't drink Hefeweizens if I know I'm going to be around anyone else for the next 24 hours.

This topic made me laugh so hard that I farted!! I think the Heffe I had last night is going to set off the smoke detector!!:rockin:

Kevin

I need to brew another Heffe. It can add a whole new level to drinking games, first it's beer pong then it's pull my finger, smellavator, or dutch oven. Did you ever notice that after you let a loud one rip everyone sniffs the air?

Keith

Cheesefood said:
It's the unfermented sugars in the beer mixing with the yeast and bacteria in your colon. That stuff gets kick started in your gut - the yeast fermenting the sweet-poo and the bacteria fermenting the sugars the yeast couldn't get to. ...

Haha, you guys crack me up!

In case anyone wondered, you're not far off. If you up your amount of complex carbs (of which home brew is full of) it is possible to max out your body's ability to process them.

As for yeast fermenting away in your intestines... that's some wishful thinking! :D

I am the one on the right...

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO.......I think that this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read in a while.

Also I didn't see any mention of the lactose intolerant. Give me my beer and so ice cream after and my husband becomes the saddest man on earth. lol.

Man im hardcore lactose intolerant and resistant to the lactaid pills. If I get a small amount of cheese or anything lookout for the next few days. I swear the smell becomes its own entity and attaches to things.

I've decided to lovingly nickname them "hop-bombs". They're horribly overpowering and smell like rotting hop flowers.......and poo. On a recent trip thru Boston I silently blessed my fellow travelers on the subway. I love dropping an anonymous hop bomb in a crowded place. :) Cheap entertainment.

bobjenkins79 said:
I've decided to lovingly nickname them "hop-bombs". They're horribly overpowering and smell like rotting hop flowers.......and poo. On a recent trip thru Boston I silently blessed my fellow travelers on the subway. I love dropping an anonymous hop bomb in a crowded place. :) Cheap entertainment.

HAHAHA!:mug:

So why does Heff create such crazy gas? Give me a Gas-X if i have to drink one that.

Willy Boner said:
:drunk: The Dutch Oven is one way to see how tough you SWMBO is, make sure to protect your junk!;)

I am so glad someone brought up the dutch oven, if I hadn't seen it I would have mentioned it myself. That has to be one of the most classic relationship tests, and surefire ways to breakup with someone, yet so funny at the same time.

Back