Secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stldrum

Reaction score
A local restaurant has the same food grade 6 gal plastic pails that my brew shop does, for sale for $1.50 each.

My question is:
Do I need to have an airlock on the pails or can I just put the cover on them. Anything I put in them would be down to one bubble per minute in the airlock in the carboy.

Can you buy those rubber rings that hold the airlock at brew stores? If so I could drill a hole plop in a rubber gasket and buy another airlock. I need more secondaries!!

All you need to do is drill a hole in the lid and stick in a 50 cent drilled stopper, then put your airlock in that. That's how my "commercial" plastic bucket is...no grommets here! Sounds like a smokin' bargain if the lids seal airtight.

yep, it needs an air lock. but either the drilled hole and a grommet from the local parts house or get a small stopper that'll fit from the HBS.

(i'm diggin' the calvin and hobb's pic BeeGee!)

Your local store should have airlock gaskets or stoppers. Gaskets are nice as the hole doesn't have to be perfect. I'd swing by and find out exactly what they have to offer before drilling the holes. Sometimes, if you buy the airlocks & stoppers, they'll punch the holes for you even though you didn't buy the buckets & lids from them.

Back