Honey Blonde.......not so sure its a blonde now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is my third extract with Steeping grains recipe the other 2 have been good and this one will look familiar I am sure since the base recipe is from the forums here the twist is at the end so bear with me a minute.

5lbs light DME
1lb Carapils
1/2 lb Honey Malt

.5 oz Centennial Hops
.5 oz Cascade Hops

Nottingham Yeast

OG was 1.048
FG was 1.009 (This was at bottling i FAILED to take a gravity reading when I transferred it to Secondary!)

Ok here is the reason I am real mad I didn't take a gravity reading when I transferred it I added raw honey from a friend of mines hives when I put it in the carboy.

I haven't brewed in a while and was in a hurry and so I looked at what I had and thought ok 2 quarts looks like a good amount for this and threw it in there. I didn't think about it again for a while because I let it set in secondary for about 18 days because the yeast went CRAZY I had to put a blow off tube in it for almost a week then I looked up the weight of honey and realized I put 5-6 lbs in there!!!

We sampled it when bottling and the flavor is good but there is an alcohol tang to it so I am thinking it is a gonna be strong. Maybe a Honey Barley wine beer. We will see in a week or so hopefully bottle conditioning can tame it down a bit.

Anyway what do you guys thing the final alcohol content is on this stuff?

Haha oh man...just one of those "doh" moments. Don't worry; I've been there plenty of times.

I can imagine 5-6 pounds of honey is going to bump the abv quite a bit.

Although this may not be the most accurate way, I would recommend a two step process. First I would plug your OG and FG into an ABV calculator and determine the ABV.

Then I would use another calculator to determine the OG and predicted FG from only 5-6 pounds of honey (depending on how much you actually used). Again use these theoretical measurements to determine the theoretical ABV. I would then add this ABV to the previously determined ABV to figure out the total ABV.

From my recipe calculator that was an OG of around 1.086 which means you have a 10% alcohol barley wine right there, lol.

Do you typically use honey once primary fermentation is done? I was told to do it this way with my honey wheat. I've just questioned how well it mixes up on its own in there. It doesn't seem as though it would balance well.

Jayhem I agree was hoping my math was wrong. Ohhh well we will see how it turns out. Worst case if it is way to strong I think Ill make a regular blonde and blend them.

Rodwha, this is the first time I have used honey in beer. I added it in the secondary after reading a bunch on here and it mixes up on its own fine, mainly because the yeasties tear it up fast! I got the majority of the honey flavor from the steeping grains that had Honey Malt in them.

I was also under the assumption that honey ferments out to almost 100%, which not only boosts the abv% but thins/dries the final beer?

If you're not into massive alcohol beers and barleywines, I'd say you're on point with the blending idea. Set one or two aside on their own if you do though, just in case ;)

Back