Achieving “X” volume of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
I’ve brewed 22 five gallon batches, the last five being all grain. Which means I’ve read enough and have just enough experience to be dangerous. My last two batches I thought: “I know carbonation levels are different depending on style. I should use a carbonation calculator to determine the amount of corn sugar necessary to achieve the proper volume of CO2 for this style of beer.”

Using the Northern Brewer calculator I bottled two batches using the amount of corn sugar suggested. I bottled a stout on April 15 with 3.43 oz of corn sugar, its still flat after 35 days. I bottled a pale ale on April 22 with 4.23 oz of corn sugar, its still flat after 28 days.

My “cellar” is on average 70 degrees with swings from 68 to 72 depending on who is winning the thermostat war.

I put a balloon on a random bottle to see if my capper is losing its umph. I’ve also moved the beer to a warmer cellaring area.

My question is this: Should I pay attention to CO2 volume or just use the entire 5oz package of corn sugar my LHBS suggests?

Remember, the three weeks we talk about when at 70 degrees is just a MINIMUM.....Beers often take longer.

I can't say this again, carbonation is FOOLPROOF. You add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which over a period of time goes into solution....it's that simple. Unless the beer is store at below the yeast's flocullation temp and it went to sleep, it WILL carb......WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. Which could be weeks or even months. But they will carb.

I use calculators all the time, and the beers always calculate to the level they're supposed to.

Use the recommended amount in the calculator. 5 oz will be overcarbed for most styles.

And yeah, +1 to patience if the beer isn't carbed yet.

I second being patient. I had a porter that took two months to reach a satisfactory level of carbonation. I typically leave my bottles alone for at least four weeks before even trying one.

Back