Krausen Lacking foam. Ever see a krausen like this (pic inside)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyJumpUp

Reaction score
First time fermenting S-05 since I went to glass carboys vs ale pales. In other words I've never seen an S-05 fermentation. Have done a lot of fermentations since with nottingham, which I though was similar and they all involve nice foamy krausen. Its 63-64 in my ferm closet. I added irish moss to the boil for the first time this batch, could that affect the krausen, I used a crapload. I was enjoying my baltic porter a little too much on brew day. Lets just say I was more relaxed about my methods than normal by the time the boil was over. Maybe my sanitation was subpar...

My recipe was:
6# 2 row
2# vienna
0.5# 60L
1 tablespoon of irish moss @ 15min
2oz amarillo + 2oz simcoe

krausen S05.jpg

Looks fine to me. A krausen is a krausen is a krausen, no matter how it looks. Krausens are affected by all manner of things, types of yeast, temps, proteins in the grainbill. It's another one of those things like whether or not an airlock bubbles, or what something smells like during fermentation, that is purely superficial, and you shouldn't compare one to another, or worry about it.

Fermentation is an ugly and stinky process, and that's all there is to it. Nothing to even pay attention to. The yeast don't need us hovering over their jobsite, worrying about what something looks like....Cause no matter how messy it may look, 99.999999999% of the time, it is PERFECTLY FINE.

Revvy, you're ruining it for me. Now he's not gonna send it to me for analysis/disposal...

Trust me my pre-dump testing requires about 4.5 gallons of beer. If the testing shows the last 1/2 gallon is too terrible to finish I'll send it your way for further analysis.

It is more curiosity than worry.

I have a batch going right now that has a lot of those bigger chunks. It reminds me of a lava lamp with all these pieces rising and sinking. Not to worry though, it's normal.

Back