Beer Keg vs Brew Pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerguyNC61

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been beaten to death a 1000 times but I tried a several searches and nothing came up. Sorry if it has been covered but here goes....

What is better for brewing in a converted keg or buying a new shiny 15 gallon Blichmann or More Beer pot? Looking for all 3- HLT, Mash Tun and Brew pot. And if the converter keg option is better whats the best place to get these kegs (legally of course)?

Fire away!! :ban:

keg vs 15 gallon blichman is like saying whats better a saturn ion or BWM 5 series. They are on different price scales. You can get kegs off craigslist for ~50 bucks i think 15 gallon blichmans start around $400 ish (i could be way off on that)

I'm a keg guy (and i drive a toyota).

Personally I couldn't find a good source for legit kegs, and am leary of the ones sold on Craigslist.

I bought a Blichmann Boilermaker, and while it ain't cheap, I'm blown away by the quality and design. Yes you can get cheaper pots, but I don't mind paying for quality. Now I just need the cash for two more ;)

Blichmann products are designed from scratch for homebrewers, to some there is value in that. As far as which is better, it probably boils down to which option suits your budget best, as they will both produce beer just as good as the other.

Yeah, no harm in going the keggle route first and seeing if that works for you. If you need three that certainly would save you a lot of money.

Thanks for the fast replies!
The craiglist route to me would be the non-legit route! I wasn't sure if there was a legal source for used kegs. Blichmann was what I was looking at but they seem to be out of stock everywhere now until mid April.....

Personally I couldn't find a good source for legit kegs, and am leary of the ones sold on Craigslist.

I bought a Blichmann Boilermaker, and while it ain't cheap, I'm blown away by the quality and design. Yes you can get cheaper pots, but I don't mind paying for quality. Now I just need the cash for two more ;)

Blichmann products are designed from scratch for homebrewers, to some there is value in that. As far as which is better, it probably boils down to which option suits your budget best, as they will both produce beer just as good as the other.

I agree, really all depends on how long you think that you are going to be brewing.

I brewed extract with specialty grains for 5 years then with two moves cross country, VT to CO to NC the brew gear went away. Now after being out of it for almost 10 years I want to dive into all-grain and plan on being here til I get planted hopefully many years from now. So that being said I want something that will last years and years.

Thanks for the fast replies!
The craiglist route to me would be the non-legit route! I wasn't sure if there was a legal source for used kegs. Blichmann was what I was looking at but they seem to be out of stock everywhere now until mid April.....

Would the following scenario be considered "legit" to you?

You go to the liquor store, walk up to the counter and politely say "One keg of beer please!". They charge you for the beer, and you make a deposit on the keg and a tap. You go home and enjoy said beer, perhaps among friends or interesting strangers. You then return to the liquor store, with only the tap and no keg. You are given your deposit for the tap, but ALAS! They keep your keg deposit for you did not return the keg. You kept it at home. You then defile the keg by cutting it open and boiling water inside it.

Legit?

Also, this is how the keg/deposit system works in my state, YMMV.

To configure a keggle up similar to a Blichmann, it's going to run you $250-$300 (depending on keg cost)... I have one that I've setup as a keggle since I didn't want to buy the Blichmann 15 gallon since I have a Blichmann 10 gallon already.

This is a shot I took of my keggle just tonight...
2012-03-28_19-49-25_483.jpg

I have a sight tube assembly (my own design) fitted on the side along with your standard 3 piece ball valve, Blichmann svelte thermometer, and a recirculation fitting. I recirculate through my plate chiller for about 5 minutes after flame out, chilling, before going to fermenter. That's on top of the sanitizing 5-10 minute recirculation time.

Inside I have just a dip tube (the one in the picture has been changed for a 45 degree bend model, picking up from the side of the cone) and the other (obvious) fittings. Everything is stainless, high temp silicone or borosilicate glass (for the sight tube).

KeggleInside.jpg

First run with it last brew day was very positive. I'll be using it again on this Saturday to brew a 10 gallon batch of my MO SMaSH... Very much looking forward to using it.

Point is, you can make a keggle to be in line with what Blichmann offers. The cost savings won't be huge, but it will be something YOU make. If you're halfway handy, and have decent tools, you can do it. If it's dangerous for you to be around power tools, that can cut, then it's probably not something you should tackle. If your family knows the trauma people at the local emergency room (due to your numerous visits), then it's probably not something you should tackle... :D

BTW, below the keggle (in the first picture) is my keg mash tun... That kicks ass. :rockin:

Awesome and very very shiny! What sort of tools did you need? Speed bit for the holes I'm guessing. WHat did you use to cut the top off? That sounds like a good price compared to a tricked out Blichmann. How did you get it so freakin shiny?

Here's an option. If your willing to drop a few dimes on a Blingman then this will be about the same price, plus it's tri-clamp and you can get only the attachment/accesories you want on it. I love my DIY keggles and they work great, I really like the concave bottom for whirlpooling too. If I had the coin for new 15 gal pots these are what I'd get. Plus they're pretty much bomb proof.

http://www.brewmagic.com/products/original-universal-kettle-2

Awesome and very very shiny! What sort of tools did you need? Speed bit for the holes I'm guessing. WHat did you use to cut the top off? That sounds like a good price compared to a tricked out Blichmann. How did you get it so freakin shiny?

I used a cobalt step bit to make the holes (used cobalt 'pilot' bits for the smaller holes before the step bit to finish them off right). I used a right angel grinder (DeWalt, corded) to cut the top. I also used an older grinder (also right angel, 4.5") with Gator finishing pads and polishing pads (with different compound sticks) to get the keg nice and shiny. I'm already primed to make another since I have two people interested in buying this one from me.

I'm thinking about using TC fittings for the ball valve in my next keggle. It would just make it easier to clean out after brewing.

I'm also [seriously] thinking about making my keg mash tun over again (I have another 'spare' keg on hand)... The main reason there is to put the fittings in line with the handle openings. Just like I did for the keggle.

Hey Yoooooooooooopuuuuuuur!
So why would you go with the Blichmann, if you didn't have to wait weeks for them to be back in stock.......

If I had an extra $1500 sitting around, I'd spring for a Blichmann MLT and BK. But I don't. I'm "making do" with kegs.

How do you ever 'suffer' using those?? :D lol

If you have some decent scrap yards in your area, call them to see if they have any commercial kegs in the yard. If they do, either get them to not destroy them, or rush over to save them. Hell, you might be able to score some corny kegs too. Or something else that you can use for brewing. :rockin:

There is always Brewhemoth Penrose kettle. I emailed them and had an extra coupler welded in and had them keep there ball valve for the same price as standard setup.

image-3570290847.jpg

I bought Bayou Classic 15gal kettles to use, and they're nice and I like them. I don't have the money to drop on Blingmans. I got kettles over kegs mainly because they're a lot easier to drill and use weldless fittings on - and I don't have a welder. Plus they're a lot lighter and easier to clean because of that, etc.

BUT, seeing those supremely mirror-finish buffed keggles makes me want to pick some up. Honestly those are so incredibly sexy.

I can't figure out why the penrose is a great deal. You can get a bayou classic of the same capacity or a legit used keg shipped for around $ 120.

it's not going to cost an additional $ 70 on top of that to add a welded fitting and ball valve, would it? I don't know what it costs top have someone weld in a fitting. I also assume the penrose isn't free shipping.

What am I missing?

Edit: I could have been more choosy with my wording. It's certainly a good deal especially compared to some other options. I didn't think it was the best possible deal so I passed on it; wondering of I missed some detail I didn't consider.

FWIW, I would take a medium duty 15 gallon inexpensive aluminum pot over a keggle anyday of the week. Just my opinion, kegs are heavy as hell, don't conduct heat well, don't cool well, don't clean easily, and are a poor shape w/ a reduced size top rim...Again just my opinion, like the Trix commercial, kegs are for serving silly brewers:mug:

I imagine the upside of using a keg is that they are extremely durable as they are designed to withstand being tossed about by beer distributors. Hope I haven't offended any keggle lovers:mug:

FWIW, I would take a medium duty 15 gallon inexpensive aluminum pot over a keggle anyday of the week. Just my opinion, kegs are heavy as hell, don't conduct heat well, don't cool well, don't clean easily, and are a poor shape w/ a reduced size top rim...Again just my opinion, like the Trix commercial, kegs are for serving silly brewers:mug:

I imagine the upside of using a keg is that they are extremely durable as they are designed to withstand being tossed about by beer distributors. Hope I haven't offended any keggle lovers:mug:

It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about, so no offense taken.

I can't figure out why the penrose is a great deal. You can get a bayou classic of the same capacity or a legit used keg shipped for around $ 120.

it's not going to cost an additional $ 70 on top of that to add a welded fitting and ball valve, would it? I don't know what it costs top have someone weld in a fitting. I also assume the penrose isn't free shipping.

What am I missing?

Edit: I could have been more choosy with my wording. It's certainly a good deal especially compared to some other options. I didn't think it was the best possible deal so I passed on it; wondering of I missed some detail I didn't consider.

It's 'Made in the USA' (something we are strongly perusing) and most welding shops charge $60-100 a hour labor rate. Plus they have to make money (unless they are doing it for charity).

I give mad props to Penrose :mug:

So there were details I was missing, fair enough :). I didn't know about the coupon code or free shipping.

$50 difference isn't a bad deal by any measure for having the hole punched, the fitting welded, the fitting itself, a ball valve, & made in USA :mug:.

The big reason I ruled it out initially was that I was thinking an extra $70 + whatever in S&H was a pretty steep jump versus slapping in a $22 weldless bulkhead + valve kit (even with $5 S&H on the kit).

Hey Yoooooooooooopuuuuuuur!
So why would you go with the Blichmann, if you didn't have to wait weeks for them to be back in stock.......

........ Just my opinion, kegs are heavy as hell, don't conduct heat well, don't cool well, don't clean easily, and are a poor shape w/ a reduced size top rim...

That's pretty much it. As for my keggles, they are cheap and are 15 gallons. But they are HEAVY.

A Blingman (I always call John Blichmann's stuff that!) is well made, will last forever, fits well on any stand, has a nice flat bottom instead of the concave bottom of the keggle, is easy to clean and lift, and comes with all of the bells and whistles I'd want. It's worth it, really. But for me, it's not in my budget at all.

Since I went all electric anyway, it would just about kill me to drill a hole for an element in a nice fancy Bling pot. I don't fill so bad cutting a hole in a keg.

Thanks for the info Yooper and everyone else chiming in.

I am still on the fence with going electric or gas. And with gas I am on the gas fence with propane or NG. The local NG company is coming by tomorrow to give me a quote on piping for a gas stove and I will ask him to quote separate for a valve on the deck and down in the brew room...... Soooooooo many choice, so little money.....
:confused:

...I am still on the fence with going electric or gas...

Are you a lot more comfortable with one or the other? Do they both fit into your budget?

For me my trade off basically goes like this:
  • I'll want to pay a guy to plumb the gas or wire up my subpanel - so this is a wash (technically gas might win this one... I already have a giant tank in my back yard for a fireplace in my out building).
  • I don't really have a lot of experience working with gas and I don't feel so comfortable with automating burners so minus 1 for gas.
  • I've done a lot of electric / electronics work & am a software engineer by trade. plus 1 for electric.
  • I have an out building (bar / "party room") where I can leave a set up basically all year round but it's freaking cold here in the winters (plus 1 for electric because I can leave the doors closed with my fireplace on without worrying about carbon monoxide and without freezing)

So, that list is pretty specific for me and my situation.

Sounds like you're down in NC and the winters there aren't real bad. I used to live in South Carolina for a year - it was hilarious to me coming from NY when the whole state shut down because the weather said there might be snow the next day ;).

For me probably the biggest trade off has to do with winter brewing ability since I can't brew in the house because of the smells lol.

I hear you on the southern winter!! I grew up in CT and lived in VT for 15 years when I came back to the states. NorEasters with three feet of snow was something you hoped you could drive from work to home at the end of the day. Down here if the possibility of maybe two inches and the entire place shuts down two days before the storm!! And don't get caught in the grocery store!! People are buying up all the bread, milk and water on all the shelves!!!! But on the plus side the comic value of it all is fun to watch.

Or back to our regular scheduled brewing......

Back