Yeast Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in starting a yeast swap? Like if you freeze or harvest yeast in beer bottles or whatever would you be interested in starting a swap to build up a "library" of yeasts?

Sounds cool to me....

Anyone interested?

The problem with that is that shipping is usually around the cost of just buying the pack of yeast.

hmm crap.......good point

maybe if you did 2 or more strains per shipment it would be worth while>

I have 8 strains frozen away, you could ship about a mL or so in a sealed tube, they would survive just fine.

Cool Colorado....would you have to use an ice pack or something? You think the shipping price of a ML or so of yeast would be very much?

Do you think this is a good idea?

a mL of liquid would fit fine in a normal envelope, just need some small sealable tube...I work in a lab so for me this is easy. Ice pack isn't necessary, a mL of yeast can contain millions of cells, you don't need many to culture yeast. The main problem is that to do this, one would either need access to a lab and associated techniques, or be really good at home-culturing yeast.

hmm....this is deffinatly true..

I haven't even frozen yeast yet but I though this would be a good idea.....I was thinking about using the mega starter into beer bottles approach for myself but it would be hard to ship

I'll have to do some more research and trial/error before I could do this I guess.....just seems like it would be pretty cool!

Back