So I don't really want to brag, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
The local sports radio station here in Philadelphia 610 WIP had a local "Beer Brawl."
The were trying to find the best beers in the area. Well they decided to have amatuers compete as well.

By no means are these guys BJCP judges or anything, but they are beer drinkers and out of all of the home brews I was named 1st place with my Alexander the Hop IIPA. They also said that it was just as good or better than all of the commercial brews they tasted!

It was a very cool experience, me and 4 other guys from The Bruclear Home Brew club got to go on air with the hosts while they tried our beers.

Here is the link...you have to scroll down about half way on the page to see Home Brews! You can also see the beers they selected as Philly's best beers.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/07/01/the-wip-midday-show-beer-brawl/

If you are in Philly the final voting will be Thursday night at Chickie and Pete's!
:rockin:

I will forgive your bragging if you post said recipe.

That's great! And don't downplay it, the BJCP has it's place, but a people's choice type comp chooses the best beer, period. Nothing inferior about that!

This. And congrats to you and your brew! It's not always the "true to style" that wins out but what tastes great to the public. :rockin:

Awesome stuff - congratulations! Any chance you can share the recipe or at least some of the details on it? (hops, malt, etc)

I think winning a "people's choice" award is better than most "contests". Congrats!!

Thanks a lot, everyone for all the kind words! My brewing knowledge was really increased because of Homebrewtalk and Jamil's Podcasts
I guess I will share some details... It was my first taste at Pliny the Elder that inspired Alexander the Hop. I wanted to make a big beer that was just a hop heaven

10 gallons
Mashed
24.5 lbs pale 2 row (American)
1.2 lbs Crystal 40
.75 lbs Carapils
2 ounces flaked Wheat
Boil
1.75 lbs Corn sugar

Hops are the key, according to ProMash it is 110 IBUs
I use Columbus and Apollo for bittering
Then lots of late hop additions of
Columbus @ 20min and 5min
Amarillo @ 10 and 0min
Simcoe @ 15, 5, and 0 min
Summit(or Centennial) @ 10 and 0min

Then Dry hop as soon as Krausen drops(for me usually 6-7 days), throw in Simcoe pellets, wait 3 days, Add Summit pellets, wait 3 more days add Amarillo Pellets, wait 3 more days and add columbus pellets...give it 3 more days and bottle or keg...
make sure you transfer it to a bottling bucket or something before you bottle or keg to get off most of that hop crud.

This beer really has a nice bitterness fresh and Hop Heads will love it, but as it ages some of that bitterness decreases in the bottle and even people who aren't big IPA drinkers can appreciate it.

Sweet! I didn't know about this. I would have definitely got in on the action. Congratulations!

Back