I need guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I have to apologize for such a general post. I am new to this and have done a bunch of studying, but never pulled the trigger. I have made my own wine and have a great deal of equipment and know what I lack as far as equipment, but now I want to brew my own beer. I want the simplest beer (stove top, 7 quart) I can do, but want it to be something I enjoy and do not get discouraged. I love Sam Adams Noble Pils, Guinness Draught, Budweiser and Bud Light beers. My favorite fruits are blueberry, and peach and I hate sweet stuff. With all that very VAGUE information, can anyone PLEASE be kind enough to walk me through step by step and ingredient by ingredient and measurement by measurement to make my first batch of beer that I can brag about??? P.S. I have plenty of bottles saved up as well for bottling. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! and I look forward to everyone's suggestions!

honestly in your situation I would just start with a basic extract kit. Some examples of those kits are Mr. Beer and Coopers. These extract kits are the most basic way to start. They require little knowledge of the brewing process and you cant really mess them up. I cant say that the beer that they make is the best but it is drinkable, and you will love it because you made it. And yes, it will be enough to impress your friends. I personally started on the Mr. Beer kit and I just went pro a couple of months ago. Prepare to be addicted!

..... I want the simplest beer (stove top, 7 quart) .......

Is that the size of your pot, or the size of batch you want to make?

If you really want a simple, basic beer recipe, go to your LHBS and get an extract kit for a cream ale or pale ale. If you don't have a LHBS, use any of the big online vendors (northerbrewer, austin home brew, etc.). Don't follow the directions past pitching the yeast. Pitch it cool (below 70F) and keep it there. Then forget about it for about 3 weeks, then follow the bottling instructions with the kit.

:mug:

can't really say I like fruit, I was just trying to "inspire" options I was unaware about. I have made a Mr. Beer kit before and actually still have one handy. I just wanted something more hands on. I may have downplayed my experience (I have fermented several kits of wine) but I know beer is different. Just thought someone could look at my post and say "you will love this!"

Check out northern brewers site. Theres a lot of really good extract recipes available. You should probably invest in a larger pot though, IMHO

honestly in your situation I would just start with a basic extract kit. Some examples of those kits are Mr. Beer and Coopers. These extract kits are the most basic way to start. They require little knowledge of the brewing process and you cant really mess them up. I cant say that the beer that they make is the best but it is drinkable, and you will love it because you made it. And yes, it will be enough to impress your friends. I personally started on the Mr. Beer kit and I just went pro a couple of months ago. Prepare to be addicted!

Yuck!

If you can make wine, beer making will be easy. I wouldn't start with Mr. Beer if you have a good grasp of fermentation. I think Cooper's would be a mistake as well.

How about this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...11911&osCsid=1db380f54b9dd5dc5ec6a64a36d94ab0
Austinhomebrew.com has great instructions, and you can easily do an extract recipe without any problem.

I wouldn't have a clue how to tell you to brew a 7qt batch (assuming that is what you mean)....but getting an extract kit that sounds good to you would be my advice as well.

I personally shop at austin homebrew and have never made a bad kit from them and they have really good instructions with each kit. But northern brewers is also a favorite. Either would give you plenty of kit options to chose from...hope this helps.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate everyone's input. I may be wrong about the 7 qt I pulled that out of my ass from memory (I'm in about a 6 pack right now). Yooper, I may try that recipe it looks good, also on NB, I saw the moose slobber recipe which looks popular I may try. Any other info will be appreciated too!

Latest posts

Back