Yes! Batch#3 under my belt! First mini-mash! First taste of Batch#2!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I can't restrain myself from posting a thread guys, I'm so happy!!

About an hour and a half ago I pitched the yeast onto beer #3, my first mini-mash!! Everything went well except there's quite a lot of carbon on the bottom of my brew kettle, I guess we'll see if that changes things. Mini-mash wasn't that hard, and I feel like I have a lot more control over the recipe as well as the ability to use grains that are otherwise unavailable to the extract brewer.

Secondly, I'm drinking a not quite carbonated bottle of my second batch! AND ITS GREAT! I was so let down by my first batch, I was worried that the second batch wouldn't be very good, but after only 7 days in the bottle, its coming along great and I'm enjoying it a lot. The first batch I couldn't drink more than a swig or two whilst flat, but with this one I'm drinking the whole thing. I can't wait to see how it ages!

Thanks for puttin up with this noob, I'm just so happy I wanted to share with you guys!

:mug:

Rook, Congratulations man. I'm glad it worked out. I am not yet into mini-mash but have entered partial extract\specialty grain and I'm encouraged at my progress. I can stay safe and build confidence in brewing better beers while I fine tune the basics.

If you can, post a picture when it's poured (I love seeing beer pics)

I'm not trying to high jack the thread but I too opened a bottle tonight (1 week bottle condition tester) and it was a Stout (espresso) and I was very pleased! Head retention is much better than extract only kits, the carb was well and fine. Could have seen a stronger head build on the pour but it's only a week old...

Tast was on target, no off flavors (have had bleach notes in other batches even after super rinsing, switched to Idophor this time) but too clean on the finish, this is due to under conditioned. It stands to only get better.

Again, you have encouraged me in my jouney forward to partial/mini mash brewing. Happy Brewing!

Larry

I was finished with the bottle too quickly to take a picture. I'll see how it looks next week. :)

Nothing so sweet as a brewed-by-you brew.

To this day, I still get a slight "happy" after my first sip of the day when I taste that great beer and get that immediate "life-is-okay" feeling that only a swig of beer can bring after a long day.

I almost giggle at the thougth that..."I made this".

Now...on to your fourth brew baby...:rockin:

That's awesome. You've inspired me to throw one of the bottles from my 3rd batch into the fridge to enjoy tomorrow. Only been in for 9 days but what the heck. Can't wait any longer!

I brewed my 6th batch today with a buddy and will have a nice Octoberfest Lager in a few weeks. Next week my first AG is on tap for a nice hoppy IPA. :mug:

hey rook congradulations!

I'm doing my first PM next week...

I've been thinking of doing edwort's haus ale as a PM as well...how did you change it?

what size is your mash tun...IE how much grain did you use

I've got a 2gallon so I guess thats 4-5lb of grain?

take it easy and happy brewing!

So I forgot to chill some HB for tonight... I had to drink Mich ultra with my pizza, how crappy is that? oh my gosh!

greenhornet said:
what size is your mash tun...IE how much grain did you use

I've got a 2gallon so I guess thats 4-5lb of grain?

Instead of 8lbs of Pale Malt, I used 6lbs of Pale LME. I think this is a little heavy handed on the malt, I got an OG of 1.061.
2lbs of Vienna
.5lbs of Crystal 10L.

I mashed in about a 2ish gallon thing, I put the grains in a bag and sparged hot water over them. Then poured that into my brew kettle which has a spigot on it. I then drained off the spigot over the grains into that 2 gallon thing until it was full. Drained it back, repeat for a few times.

If I had a 3-4 gallon mash tun it would have been much better, but I don't have anything that big outside of my brewkettle.

I pitched the nottingham dry about 5 hrs ago, and 2 hrs after I pitched I saw a bubble. It wasn't active fermentation, but itsagoin!

HORRAY BEER!

Back