mouse in my sanitizer bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhubert

Reaction score
Ok this one is a little strange. I brewed a batch of beer 2 weeks ago and forgot my bucket of sanitizer solution (Starsan) and my racking cane, beer thief and a few other odds and ends soaking in the bucket. Well today I was ready to rack my primary to my secondary carboy. I realized I left my bucket of sanatized water and utensils in the garage so I retrieved them and brought them into the tub to dump out, as I was dumping out the water a very small, dead mouse came out with the water. It startled me at first. LOL. I am not sure if the bugger was in the water the entire 2wks or just a few hours but it crossed my mind about contamination from the critter. I rinsed out the bucket and used a very healty dose of starsan and soaked everything in there for 15 min. I then dumped and re sanitized for another 10 min. I then went about using my racking cane to siphon my beer to my carboy. Other than the thought of the little critter floating in my bucket of sanitzer being gross, is there any possibility of a health issue in the end when I drink my kegged beer? I would rather dump my brew than get sick but my instinct would say that I sanitized it good enough.

Man, that sucks! I've never had that happen and I would bet that you would be safe, but you never know what those critters carry.

I would say as long as you resanitized you should be good to go. The only thing I would by worry about would be any soft materials, such as hoses, etc.

Old timers would fill a barrel of water and then float grain on top of the water. Then run a 2x4 up to the top of the barrel. Mice jump in one after another and drown.

Better than a cat. Cats like to use the grain as litter. Turds are easily removed but the pee is a problem.

But I digress. Don't worry about the mouse. See this for another funny mouse story:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mouse-my-carboy-118371/#post1312871

Back