First Time Brew at Lager Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
This weekend will be the first time I brew at what should be lager temps. I am doing a partial mash Oktoberfest kit that calls for either WL 820 Octoberfest lager yeast OR WL 810 San Francisco if lager temps cannot be achieved and you need to ferment at ale temps.

My preference is to use the Octoberfest lager yeast

I use a Son of Fermenter to control my fermentation temps and even though it's a pain to keep changing ice, I can maintain pretty consistent low temps to about 34 F. So, I am not too concerned about keeping the temps right throughout the whole fermentation.

My two questions are:

1. After brewing, should I allow the wort to cool to 48-50 F and then pitch my starter? Or, can I pitch around 65 F and then cool to the correct fermentation temperature? I will be doing a starter according to Jamil's yeast calculator, so my yeast will be coming from the refrigerator (approx. 38F).

2. The recipe calls for lagering to take place at 32 F. Is it okay if my temps are 35-38 F? My guess is that I am probobly over thinking this.

3. Is it necessary to add another vile of yeast at bottling for carbonation? John Palmer mentioned that in a BN show, but the instructions with the kit say to just use standard 'ol bottling sugar and doesn't mention anything about more yeast.

Thanks!!

1. cool then pitch. it will reduce off flavors from the get go and prevent yeast from shutting down when the temp drops.

2. those temps should be fine. but keep in mind its recommended to lager for 1 week per 10 points of OG. 1.050 means 5 weeks of 35-38.

Back