PawPaw recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophunter

Reaction score
I did a search but didn't come up with anything except one member mentioning making pawpaw jam and another having a pawpaw ale in the lineup. My father-in-law has a small orchard (700 trees) and I was hoping someone might be able to share some recipes either for food, beer, wine or anything else for this upcoming fall. Thanks in advance.

I will have to dig some up, but I know I have some stored away somewhere. They are very popular in the hills of West Virginia.

The thing to remember with Pawpaw’s is the fact that once they are ripe, they don’t stay fresh long, so you don’t have a large window to work with unless you freeze or can them.

I know a local brewery has done a pawpaw wheat beer in the past, and I know you can find wine recipes on Google.

I have to do some certification test for work, so just be patient and I should be able to dig some recipes out in the next couple of weeks.

This is the brewery I was mentioned before; you could email them about their experience with the pawpaw beer.

http://www.mariettabrewingcompany.com/index.html

I am quite familiar with their disappointingly short shelf life:(. I appreciate anything you might have. No hurry, we have until September here in PA. I just wanted to maybe start toying with ideas. Thx.

I found this someplace on the web when I had the same question.
I have my recipe below it with some notes.
Next time I'll brew a batch with paw paw and one without so I can see how it compares. I'll also try a bit more paw paw.
==========================

Jeanna's Paw Paw Pale Ale

5 Gal Extract w/ Steeped grains.
I lose 2 gal/hr from my keggle so I boil 7 gal. You can adjust for your system.

6# light DME
1# Crystal 60L
1# White Wheat
3/4 oz Cascade (6.3 AA)(60 min)
1/2 oz Glacier (5.8 AA) (20 min)
Irish Moss
WLP002 English Ale
7# Paw Paw pulp; Thoroughly freeze to kill off any wild yeast.

Steep grains @153 for 45 in 5 Gal. Add DME and 2 gal of water bring to boil and add Cascades. Boil 60 adding Glaciers the last 20; Irish Moss the last 15.
Cooled to 75 F and pitched straight from vial.
Fermented in Primary 2 weeks. Racked to Secondary and added Paw Paw. Racked to another secondary after 6 days.
Left it in there for another 10 days to settle out. Bottled conditioned for 2 weeks.

It was a little rich so I think I'll use less fruit next time and possibly tweak the Hop schedule. I think it would mellow well with age but my friends and family are thirsty.LOL.

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.9 = 131 x (1.059 - 1.014)

I think I'll use 3.5# of Paw Paw next time.

===============================

Paw Paw
10-B American Amber Ale

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 170.55 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.045 - 1.060) hit 1.048
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015) hit 1.013
Color: 14.45 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 5.04% (4.5% - 6.2%) hit 4.54
Bitterness: 35.0 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
7.5 lb American 2-row
1.5 lb Crystal 60
1.0 lb White Wheat Malt
1.0 oz Cascade (6%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Glacier (6%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale (my notes show I used WLP005)
3.81 lb Paw Paw puree - added dry to secondary fermenter

Man, I love pawpaws! The thought of 700 pawpaw trees makes my toes curl... we're planning to make a pawpaw mead sometime this year, but we were just going to make a basic mead and rack it onto some frozen pulp we have according to fruit addition instructions for that sort of thing... so no recipe per se. If I run across other recipes I'll post them here though.

Thanks KVP. Both of those recipes sound tasty. I always thought it might go well in a wheat, belgian or amber. Especially b/c of the hint of banana that you can get in a wheat or belgian and how well pawpaw can be used in place of banana. Man, shouldn't have asked so early, I could really go for pawpaws right now.

Reviving a zombie thread here.

3.5 lbs of paw paws worked about right for this recipe. It gave a really pronounced paw paw aroma.

I'm now working on an all-grain paw paw Dunkel Weizen.

I have a Paw Paw tree and I am interested in a Paw Paw cider recipe if anyone has one they would like to share.

Back