Racking Off Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I have had a wheat beer aging on cranberries now for 2 weeks. Due to unforseen consequences and a broken keg, I am unable to rack the beer off the fruit for another week until I get the new keg and can free up my equipment to make room to rack the cranberry wheat beer.

I know most people leave their beer on fruit for 2 weeks or so, but will leaving the beer on the fruit for an extra week cause any adverse flavors, etc? I cant imagine 1 week extra in the secondary will make a difference in the beer. It looks like all the extraction from the cranberry is done as they have turned white and the beer is a nice red color now.

Doubt it. Give it a taste to see if you notice any off flavors. If so then rack to another carboy until your keg is back in order.

Doubt it. Give it a taste to see if you notice any off flavors. If so then rack to another carboy until your keg is back in order.

Ok, cool, I think I'll just let it sit.

The problem is that I dont have another free carboy at the moment. I was going to rack into the keg to free up space to move the cranberry wheat, but w/o the keg.....

I like it when practical necessities push us to use a new technique, process or ingredient - that is part of the fun and charm of hand-made beer!

I like it when practical necessities push us to use a new technique, process or ingredient - that is part of the fun and charm of hand-made beer!

LOL.

I wouldnt say this is necessarily fun, wondering if my beer will suffer, but I guess in the end when it works out fine, you realize to RDWHAHB, and it really takes a lot to mess a batch up!

Back