Too late for oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
My blueberry port has been clearing/aging for the past year in multiple carboys and jugs. I have kept up on my campden tablet additions at every other racking. I arrested its fermentation at around 14% which raised it to 21% (everclear addition) last January.

One thing I neglected to add was some oak chips to get a slight woody flavor/aroma. Is it too late to add oak chips at this point? I haven't decided yet about what I will do, but I hope to leave it in bulk storage at least until it is 18 months old before bottling.

is it true you can rinse the chips when done and reuse?

I guess you could. They would be less "oaky" and have a possibility of contamination, so I wouldn't see the point. I paid about $1.00 an ounce for medium toast American oak chips, and I use about an ounce per batch so I can't imagine it would be worth it.

When I oak, I usually rack onto the oak chips if I'm using chips or just add the oak spirals/cubes if I'm using them. Taste often for flavor- you want the wine to be just slightly overoaked since it will mellow with age. I usually leave mine about 1 month on chips before racking off and a bit less for spirals.

I used to use a product called "oak boy". It was just an oak stick that I dropped in the carboy. I rinsed and reused it a couple more times. Larger pieces are more practical for reuse. It won't hurt but like Yooper said, oak's inexpensive and it's better to use fresh oak.

Back