What is this gonna taste like? (I was shooting for an amber)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
I had a ground up bag of mixed grain I was saving for a banana flavored porter. After deciding to give more time developing that recipe, I threw the grains and 8 pounds of LME together with some left over hops for the hell of it.

2 oz 2-Row Chocolate Malt
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Crystal 120
8.0 lb English Light Extract (MoreBeer)
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
2 packets of Nottingham (first time with notty)

Original Gravity: 1.062
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 17.1 °SRM
Alcohol: 6.15%
Bitterness: 29.3
Kettle Volume: 5.71 gal (S.G.: 1.055)
Boil Duration: 1 hr
Evaporation: 0.5 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.0 gal
Final Volume: 5.0 gal (S.G.: 1.062) Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 0.5 gal

Steeped grains for 30 at about 165ish.

It's in a part of my basement that's a consistent 60 all of the time. Took about 10 hours to get going full steam. Still chugging away next to my lager in its d rest.

This is going to sound silly, but my fragile brain originally though that crystal 120l was 12, even though I had fully acknowledged there was a zero in front of it. Then I thought man, sounds like a pretty intense malt, hope it's not too much. I was thinking if I'd do it again I'd have a larger variety of crystal malts in smaller proportions. But eff it. I have a feeling after this clears out and is cleared further with gelatin, I'll at least have a nice lookin' beer.

What do you guys think, to much 120?

Here are some crappy pictures I took with my phone :ban:

4104679610_e68170949d_o.jpg
4103916719_f35df57738_o.jpg

It's going to be like a bastard Irish Red. Slightly higher in alcohol, slightly lower in dry roasty finish, a little higher on bitterness but the higher FG will counter some of that. Expect a slightly sweeter drinking beer.

It might be a good candidate for some light dry hopping (like .5oz).

Oh, and you should have steeped the grains for longer (60 mins should be your minimum) and at a lower temp. 165 is so high that you're approaching mash out temps - i.e., you deactivate enzymes. Without enzymes, the starch in the grain won't get broken down, and you'll have a lot of unfermentable starch in the final beer. Your final gravity might be kinda high.

Oh, and you should have steeped the grains for longer (60 mins should be your minimum) and at a lower temp. 165 is so high that you're approaching mash out temps - i.e., you deactivate enzymes. Without enzymes, the starch in the grain won't get broken down, and you'll have a lot of unfermentable starch in the final beer. Your final gravity might be kinda high.

I was going by John Palmer who says 30 minutes between 150-170. Are you talking about a partial mash?

You don't have to mash those grains, so i think you're okay. I might have gone with less 120, but that's hardly outrageous to use 1/2 lb.

About that hop schedule. Cenetennial + Hallertau + Fuggles is, um, non-traditional. Given that you're bittering already with Centennial, I suspect the Hallertau might just get lost in the shuffle.

Hallertau is a maybe, as in it was inside an unamed sandwhich bag. I'm about 99 percent sure it's aa was somewhere between 4 and 8 cuz I'm running out of hops and I havent used anything like nugget or the like in a while. I like the smell of this one, nothing fancy like a saison in the bucket, smells like beer.

I think that will taste like crap! I will PM you my address, send it to me for proper disposal and I will send you back the empties. In all honesty, it will likely be a pretty good drinkin beer, and a good way to clean up the brew supply shelf!

Latest posts

Back