Schrödinger's Amber Ale - First Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
I opened my first Schrödinger's Amber Ale (first brew ever) after 2 weeks in the bottle and two days in the beer fridge. The carbonation seemed OK. I heard a nice fsssst when pulling of the cap. I poured up with an OK head, but it diminished pretty quickly. It washed and left no lacing on the glass. I got kind of a overcarbonated sense while drinking it that reminded me a bit of Mich Ultra. (I've always found it particularly fizzy in my mouth.)

The color was good, but the clarity was um...not there. It kind of had the look of a wheat beer with a mild overall haziness. I don't know if that is standard or not for a non-filtered homebrew.

The smell reminded me of many different craft brews, but none in particular stand out.

The flavor was decent. There was really nothing distinctive short of a mild hops flavor. But, being an American Amber, I don't expect bold flavors were to be expected!

At any rate, I'll throw a few more in the fridge in a week and see what I've got. Meanwhile I'm planning an English Nut Brown recipe from Northern Brewers for this weekend.

This was the result of my first brewing experience outlined in this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-boil-today-forgot-measure-og-139844/
I was plagued with the newbie question of "I have no airlock activity. Is it actually fermenting or was my yeast dead?" So, not knowing what was going on inside the fermentation bucket (and agonizing over it) I opted to name it Schrödinger's Amber Ale

Congratz on your first brew. :)

I think you'll see a big difference in another week. A lot of subtle malt character will come out.

I love the name btw.

Back