I was hit by a bus so now time for a new bike.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmilton1987

Reaction score
Well last friday night I was hit by a milwaukee city bus while riding my bike. It knocked me over and I was scraped and have some brusies. It broke my cell, and then I also to the bike to the shop today to get an estimate. They said it is totaled due to the frame being 3/8" bent out of alignment amongst other things. It was a late 80's Gitane GranTour road bike. I am now in the market for a new road bike any suggestions b/c the city is paying for it.

I say screw it. You should get a beast of a bike out of it. They're lucky that they're not into you for a crapload from a suit.

Wow! Sounds like that was intense. Are you sure that there are no bigger, long-term medical issues or consequences?

In any case, congratulations that it wasn't worse.

Pappers - I don't really know. I had a pre-employment physical after the incident and the doc said that I was all good. Also thanks for the concern.
EoinMag- I bought the bike used off craigslist, and now the manufactuer only makes Triatholon(sp) bikes which I do not care for. My local bike shop has mostly Kona, SE, Jamis, and Mati so that is what I will prob choose from, but I think i am going to convert to fixed/single speed since I don't shift as is so it would be nice to have a simple bike.

Dude if you want to go with a fixed gear/single speed you gotta get the Van Dessel Country Road Bob. Just look at this frame:
zmcrbob.jpg

You can get this with cantilevers or disc brakes. That along with the wide fork would allow you to put some knobby cyclocross tires on it to get you through the Wisconsin winters. I think they run about $1k and would last you the rest of your life.

That is sexy, but my heart is in road bikes not ss mountian bikes, it would be nice to ridein the winter though, but it is so damn cold here come January I am fine with just waiting for the bus.

Well last friday night I was hit by a milwaukee city bus while riding my bike. It knocked me over and I was scraped and have some brusies. It broke my cell, and then I also to the bike to the shop today to get an estimate. They said it is totaled due to the frame being 3/8" bent out of alignment amongst other things. It was a late 80's Gitane GranTour road bike. I am now in the market for a new road bike any suggestions b/c the city is paying for it.

WOW that's a classic. I have a Gitane from the 90's and I love that bike.

Back