Is there a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I brewed a batch yesterday for the first time in about 8 years, a German wheat beer kit from Brewers Best. Everything went pretty smooth, other than the blistering heat in Ohio right now, and I got a starting gravity reading of 1.047. I pitched the wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat strain at roughly 73 degrees, and used a smack pack containing 100 billion cells and a smack pack containing 25 billion cells and have stored my fermenter in an upstairs bathroom. The temp in the storage area should be about 70-74 degrees. Now, I have checked twice on the beer and have not noticed any bubbling in the air lock, but the beer is foaming (krausening?). I was under the impression from the homebrew store that with this much yeast fermentation would very evident. Is the foaming (krausening) a good sign? Should I add more liquid to the air lock, it is just under half full now? Maybe a warmer area?

No, don't put it in a warmer area--that's already pretty warm for a weizen. (Remember, during active fermentation, the wort is probably a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.)

It sounds like you don't have a good enough seal to force the escaping gases out the airlock.

If you're using a bucket, check and make sure the lid is on all the way. If it's a carboy, try substituting a differnt bung/stopper.

cweston said:
No, don't put it in a warmer area--that's already pretty warm for a weizen. (Remember, during active fermentation, the wort is probably a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.)

Would you recommend I move the fermenter to the basement, the temperature there should be 65-70.

Brutus Brewer said:
Would you recommend I move the fermenter to the basement, the temperature there should be 65-70.

I would: I think 68 is about the target for a german hefeweizen. Warmer temps really bring out the banana/bubblegum flavor.

Now, if you really like banana...

:ban: :ban: :ban:

Foam = fermentation (because the krausen is basically a big head). You have a bad seal on your fermenter.

I had the same basic issue with a couple of batches. I had split a 5-gallon recipe into two 3-gallon carboys, and neither showed much airlock activity at all - but, I had a good krausen in both. I *thought* I had the plugs in well, everthing all sealed up tightly, but apparently not. I may invest in some better plugs that those I bought with the carboys, or actually I'll probably just use the carboy caps (which are SO convenient for siphoning).

the_bird said:
I had the same basic issue with a couple of batches. I had split a 5-gallon recipe into two 3-gallon carboys, and neither showed much airlock activity at all - but, I had a good krausen in both. I *thought* I had the plugs in well, everthing all sealed up tightly, but apparently not. I may invest in some better plugs that those I bought with the carboys, or actually I'll probably just use the carboy caps (which are SO convenient for siphoning).

Don't go putting it somewhere hotter. The last thing you want to do is create an environment for a flash ferment. It will taste terrible. It will be fine just remember to get 2 good (consistant) readings over two days. Bottle or rack as per normal and screw on that lid tighter next time...... No... tighter. Unless you're popeye your not going to strip the tread.

Back