American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just following up from an earlier post. I brewed this back in November and pretty much followed the established recipe but used WLP007 fermented cool.

After a couple of weeks in the keg, I commented on here that I thought this beer tasted much more English than American even with the use of Cascade hops. The yeast character was very neutral and the beer had an assertive English malt flavor (biscuit, toast, nutty).

This beer recently took first place in a local competition in the ESB/English Pale Ale category up against eleven other ESB's.

So kudos to Yooper for the versatility of this grain bill! Use of Fuggles or EKG instead of Cascade and a more fruity English yeast may take this beer even higher.

Just following up from an earlier post. I brewed this back in November and pretty much followed the established recipe but used WLP007 fermented cool.

After a couple of weeks in the keg, I commented on here that I thought this beer tasted much more English than American even with the use of Cascade hops. The yeast character was very neutral and the beer had an assertive English malt flavor (biscuit, toast, nutty).

This beer recently took first place in a local competition in the ESB/English Pale Ale category up against eleven other ESB's.

So kudos to Yooper for the versatility of this grain bill! Use of Fuggles or EKG instead of Cascade and a more fruity English yeast may take this beer even higher.

You are correct, the grain bill is awesome - thanks Yooper.

I brewed this as a 1 gallon batch, but I think I lost something in the translation. Even after dry hopping, it is very subtle. I'm sure it's my fault.

This recipe inspired me to kick things up a notch. I bought a 20Q pot and will soon upgrade my carboy so I can brew this as a 1/2 batch (2.5 gallon). My apartment is too small to do 5G batches. Hopefully by doing this I will get the true taste of this wonderful brew.

Barron, congrats on the award! I am surprised to read that by simply changing the yeast the entire character of the beer changed so dramatically. Will you ever brew it using California-style yeast?

Well, personally I tend to use US 2-row or pale ale malt as my base for American pale ales and IPA's. I love English base malts but usually only in my darker beers or English/Scottish styles. I'm wondering if I would still get the tremendous malt flavor with this same grain bill and hop schedule even using a clean US yeast like WLP001 fermented on the cool side. If you keep WLP007 in the 65 degree range, it produces virtually no esters in my experience.

Barron, Yooper and anyone else. In order to get more hop flavor, not aroma, should I perhaps use more hops at the 10 min. mark?

Barron, Yooper and anyone else. In order to get more hop flavor, not aroma, should I perhaps use more hops at the 10 min. mark?

Shouldn't it be 15? Closer to end of boil means more aroma. Maybe?

Good time to experiment. 1 batch at 25, next at 15, etc etc
Worst case, you have a few brews. :)

Shouldn't it be 15? Closer to end of boil means more aroma. Maybe?

Good time to experiment. 1 batch at 25, next at 15, etc etc
Worst case, you have a few brews. :)

Not a bad idea.

Is there a significant difference in adding hops at 15min as opposed to 10min.?

Am thinking of using Yooper's recipe grain bill and doing an 'All late hop addition' batch. That could be in the cards. :)

Gold_Robber said:
Not a bad idea.

Is there a significant difference in adding hops at 15min as opposed to 10min.?

Am thinking of using Yooper's recipe grain bill and doing an 'All late hop addition' batch. That could be in the cards. :)

You should do this. I love this grain bill so I kept the proportions the same and bumped it to IPA strength. Then I re-figured the hops for about mid 80 IBU, with all hops added at 25 min or less, plus a 1 week dry hop. All hops were Falconers Flight 7C. The end result was fantastic.

You should do this. I love this grain bill so I kept the proportions the same and bumped it to IPA strength. Then I re-figured the hops for about mid 80 IBU, with all hops added at 25 min or less, plus a 1 week dry hop. All hops were Falconers Flight 7C. The end result was fantastic.

Were the hops evenly distributed or did a certain time have more hops added? TIA

My mistake. My spreadsheet shows that I calculated 75-77 IBU. I was trying the last post from memory. Per my notes, I went with 6 total ounces of 11.4% FF. one ounce each at
25 min
20 min
15 min
10 min
5 min
7 days dry hop

The boil hops stayed in during chilling.

thanks for this recipe Yooper, I am going to try it this weekend. Quick question and just about anyone here can probably answer this. In my Beersmith it has the calculated final gravity as 1.015, which to me seems a bit high with an original gravity around 1.060. How is it calculating this because I was thinking it would finish up closer to the 1.010 listed in your original recipe and I really like dry crisp beers with just a little malt flavor, I don't want an overly malty taste that may come with a 1.015 FG beer.

Any thoughts? Is there something off with my beersmith that I can change?

Thanks everyone!

Edit, found my answer on like page 22.

About to oxygenate and pitch US-05, I subbed the 10 and 5 min addition for Centennial because I has less Cascade than I thought. Ended up with just under 5 gallons, so my OG is around 1.066 instead of 1.058.

I'm going to rack this to the secondary and dry hop in a few days. I have some homegrown cascade and was given some homegrown Canadian Redvine. I make 10 gallon batches, split between two fermenters, so it's easy to experiment. Has anyone ever dry hopped with Canadian Redvine? I've never used it before. I'm wondering if it would be a good fit with this brew? Was thinking of dry hopping one bucket with cascade and the other bucket with just Redvine. Thoughts?

I have to say, I like a lot of different styles of Beer. I don't really care for the Double. Triple and/or QUAD IPA's. For that matter I really don't like real hoppy beers in general. Too bitter for me. However, With the great reviews I read about it in this thread, I thought I mite as well give it a try. I'm glad I did. After I brewed the 1st batch and filled my keg up,I gave it a good whiff, and thought......man this smells very HOPPY. Well
, It is..........But not like other IPA's I tried. To me it's very hoppy But pleasantly hoppy. Just a very , very, tasty brew. I'm like it soo much, I'm on my 3rd batch with this last batch being 10gal. A 1st for me. Everyone that tasted it so far, said the same thing! I brewed the recipe as is. I didn't change anything. I used Wyeast 1056..............Yummy Yooper!

Thanks.

:mug:

Hey guys any suggestions on how to scale up the hops schedule for a 3 gallon boil? I planned a PM of this for Friday and any input would be great. Thanks

Just bottled this...

CANNOT recommend this beer enough. I wish I had a bigger hydrometer test jar so I could drink more - it is tasty as hell! Give me strength to let these puppies bottle condition.

Play with the hops within reason. Columbus and centennial are very nice in this.

Yooper I've said it before and I'll say it again - yer brilliant.

:) x 1,000,000

Going to brew 10 gallons of this on Sunday. Based on what I have read in this thread I cannot wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing Yooper!

I ended up racking 5 gallons to the secondary and dry hopping with .50 oz willamette and .50 oz cascade pellets. Just kegged yesterday. Smelled and tasted great. I just threw it in the kegerator because I'm sure it will be ready to drink by next weekend.

I also racked 5 gallons to another secondary and dryhopped with whole cascade hops. Worthless. I didn't get anything from the whole hops. They seemed to be bone dry in the middle. Maybe I'll try running these through a salad shooter next time since I'll have a lot of whole hops on hand from the garden.

Brewed a beer loosely based on this (partly due to what I had on hand, partly due to me being the type to fiddle with things, wanting to use some Amarillo, etc.). Here's what I made:

70.5% Pale Ale Malt
17.4% Vienna
8.7% Crystal 40
3.4% flaked Oats (experimenting with these)

Hop schedule as follows:
Nugget FWH
Cascade Pellet 20
Amarillo 20
Cascade Pellet 10
Amarillo 10
Cascade Pellet 5
Amarillo 5
Cascade Pellet 0
Amarillo 0

I kinda hop-bursted it, at least I added a lot of the hops from 20 down to zero (over half the IBU's). I'm going to dry-hop with equal parts of Cascade and Amarillo, too. Wanted a punchy PA that was nearing IPA realm, sessionable (should be around 4.8%), but good malt character and deeper color. Came out 1.044, 9 gallon batch, 32.1 IBU. Mashed medium body, so I expect 80-85% attenuation with the re-pitch of 200ml US-05 slurry. Oxygenated with 0.5 micron o2 stone for 2 minutes until I could see tiny bubbles all over in the wort.

Finally did a recipe loosely based on Yoop's Pale Ale. I did a 2.5 g batch. It was my first AG and I did it as a BIAB. Seemed very astringent and VERY cloudy in the beginning. I finally tapped the keg after a month and it cleared perfectly and is now a beautiful beer. I used all Cascade and was surprised that there was very little grapefruit.. but a lot of floral taste/aroma with a bit of spiciness. All in all.. I'm quite happy.

Also, I had Shane (NeighborsBrewingCo) make a few labels for me. This is the one I'm using for this APA. I'll be making it as a regular so the label is something that will be used over and over as necessary.

Added some centennial to the recipe it's fantastic!

image-3538524216.jpg

Bottled four weeks now and it's fantastic. Wow. Best brew I've done so far.

What is it about the brew that you like so much?

I bottled mine 2 days ago. I drank a bit of it out of the carboy and I loved the balanced 'maltiness' of it. I think I needed to add some more aroma hops, but won't be sure for 2 more weeks.

I'm officially adopting this grain bill as my go to grain bill for pale ales. I've done other pale ales and they've been a little one-dimensional in the malt department. This really works well. I like the malt balance it gives me.

I've done this recipe a few times. I've started swapping out hops to change it up a bit. It works well with everything. I just kegged an all amarillo version of this and it is really nice.

I don't stock Munich, so I use all Vienna in it's place, and my %'s are slightly different, but the mix of the malts is a nice backbone for PA/IPA. My last one was a Cascade/Amarillo PA that is pretty good. Doing a Nugget/Cascade this weekend or this week.

Bottled my second batch of this last night. Sample tasted pretty good. I shifted the hop additions later in the boil for less bitterness and more aroma:

.5 ounce Cascade 60 minutes
.5 ounce cascade 30 minutes
1 ounce Cascade 10 minutes
1 ounce cascade 5 minutes
1 ounce cascade flameout
1 ounce cascade dry hop.

We'll see.

My Nugget/Cascade variation of this (I'm calling it "Nuggetade") is fabulous out of the FV right now. Currently crashing it after 8 day primary at 64, raising to 67 the last 3 of the 8 total days. I have 20/10/5/0 hop additions after a FWH bittering, and I used Vienna, C40, and Oats because I don't stock Munich or various crystal malts, just 40L. It's got great hop flavor, almost sweet, but it's dry at 1.007. My OG was 1.044, so this is a sessionable 4.9%, perfect for the warmer weather that's here/coming!

I'll dry-hop in keg this weekend while carbing. Probably start drinking it Saturday or Sunday.

I brewed a little 2.5 gallon biab version of this and it turned out great. I DH'ed with summit and I think that was a great idea. It really has a nice nose to it. One of the best beers I've brewed for sure. Got 1.060 og and 1.011 or so fg and it's a perfect beer for any time of the day. It went from wort to glass in little over 4 weeks. Thanks Yooper for sharing this recipe; I'm going to brew this again very soon since I can't stop drinking it! :tank: I think I'm going to do a bigger hop edition at the 5 min mark for even more hop flavor and aroma but I don't want to tweak it too much since it's so good the way it is.

Just tapped the keg for this recipe that was my second all-grain brew. Turned out great. Thanks very much. I've got three in primary fermentation right now. A modified Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Had some extract lying around, so I used 4 lbs Morebeer Munich lme, 6 lbs ldme, 1 lb carafoam, 6 oz. biscuit and 1 lb caravienne, with the Torpedo hop schedule. Then I did two wheat all grain recipes. Same grain bill but different hops; one trying to emulate the Boulevard 80-Acre hoppy wheat, which I had in Chicago a few weeks ago, and the other with a traditional witbeer recipe with coriander and orange peel (hop schedule from Diable Blanche from Stephen Snyder's book, though I did substitute hops from that recipe, replacing the Hallertau with Mt. Hood, the Tettnang with Willamette, and the Saaz with Crystal). Five lbs Belgian pilsner, 2.5 lbs malted wheat, 2.5 lbs flaked wheat, and 1 lb clover honey, using an English ale yeast. We'll see. But your house pale ale may become my house pale ale. Just lovin' this brewin' stuff. BTW, the Morebeer Munich malt is 50% Munich and 50% pale.

Mmm. Having one of these now,I used Ivanhoe on my batch. Its over a year old now. And pretty good still.:) Ill be brewing this again,once I start brewing again with another hop. The malts are definatly showing most definatley now.Almost like an amber now,but the finish tells you no,its not an amber.

Brewed this up yesterday. I did a 5.5 batch and hit 1.052. Accidentally did 15 and 10 min hop additions instead of 10 and 5. Should still be great though! Really looking forward to this one. Thanks Yooper for the recipe!

Brewing this today with a mix of Cascade and Falconers Flight. Making it for a work picnic. I chose to go with regular pale, not Marris. Think tht will make much of a difference? I know MO is a whole different malt, but I hope the 2-Row goes fine with the other malts. Cant wait to try it, and thanks Yooper for a great looking recipe!

holy good night irean. I hit 1.059 And 14.5 bx on this brew. first time I'm up over 1.040. can't wait.

I kept the grain Bill the same and doubled the hop additions with some experimental lemon drop hops from hop shack. Very pleased with the results. Im Personally Not too impressed with the lemon drop hops tho. But it was worth the experiment. Great recipe!

Picked up ingredients for this today, going to add 1/4 oz of citra at 15,10,5,0.

And then dry hop an oz.

Ill probly drop the 30 minute addition to keep the ibus in the 35-40 range.

ok, so i brewed this up today. With a few minor changes.

I had 1/2 lb flaked wheat laying around so i tossed that in there in hopes to get some good head, giggity. also, my hop additions were 60 min 1OZ cascade and then .25 ozs each of cascade and citra at 15, 10, 5, 0. i have an oz of each left to dry hop with. yay!

RonJon

Sooo....made this beer using Falconers Flight and Cascade. Equal parts, 1/2 and 1/2 as the orginal recipe states. Adedd a little more of each here and there. Took it to a work party today and people LOVED IT!! Came out with almost an apricot flavor. People actually asked if it had fruit in it. I wish I had time to dry hop it but I didnt. Enough hops to where it was still "pale ale" but a decent amount of citrus and stone fruit flavors. Not sure if it was the yeast and esters or the hops. But it was damn good.

Thanks again for a killer recipe!!! Will be making this again for sure!

I've had this one on deck for far too long. About to order the goods for an Oct. 5th brew-day. Can't wait to taste the final result!

Back