Might've gone overboard...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inexplorata

Reaction score
I think I might've overestimated how far Wyeast's 4632 Dry Mead Yeast would go.

19 pounds of honey later, my OG read a whopping 1.135 back in September; this morning's reading (late January) was 1.058, which I believe still puts me in the "sickly sweet" end of things?

Now I'm wondering if I re-pitch, water down, or wait and hope. Any thoughts from the more experienced?

I think I might've overestimated how far Wyeast's 4632 Dry Mead Yeast would go.

19 pounds of honey later, my OG read a whopping 1.135 back in September; this morning's reading (late January) was 1.058, which I believe still puts me in the "sickly sweet" end of things?

Now I'm wondering if I re-pitch, water down, or wait and hope. Any thoughts from the more experienced?

It is a conundrum but not something that can't be overcome, the first question is are you looking to take it dry dry or do you want something semi sweet? Either option could start the same way, a pack of lalvin 1118.

I'd rehydrate though, not pitch dry, probably go with a cup of 104* water, 1/4 tsp energizer and/or nutrient, a tsp of honey if you got it, shake the crap out of it then add the yeast for 15-20 minutes so it is all warmed up and ready to hit the ground running.

Then decide if you want to just let it go and take it dry, after which you could cold crash, stabilize and back sweeten.

Or try to halt at the desired FG by cold crashing and stabilizing

Either way, it's a relatively easy fix

Might just be a case of pH or nutrients.

I understood that wyeast dry mead is tolerant to 18% anyway. Which is a drop of 133 points so you would be spot on at 1.002

So check the pH and either FermaidO or yeast hulls or boil3d bread yeast for nutrient as its well past the 1/3rd break......

Well, I went simplest first and added 2 tsp of boiled yeast in a quarter cup of water, cooled. Sloshed it 'round just a bit. No action after 12 hours, but I suppose I'd best wait, what, 48 before taking further action?

Well, I went simplest first and added 2 tsp of boiled yeast in a quarter cup of water, cooled. Sloshed it 'round just a bit. No action after 12 hours, but I suppose I'd best wait, what, 48 before taking further action?
Your pH can still be stopping it from finishing or at least stalling it.

A gentle stirring, not loads of splashing may help as it will create nucleation points for the dissolved CO2/carbonic acid to bind too and come out as gaseous CO2. Always worth a try.

Well, no action. Looks like a re-pitch is in order. Thinking about rehydrating as advised upthread, only using a packet of SO4 I've got... slow worker, and easy enough to stop. I'm going to try to halt things in time to leave it sweet -- 1.015 or so? Target a 43--point drop, then rack and cold crash while I've still got snow on the ground.

Any missteps in this plan? I appreciate the help, I'm usually a cider guy, but I got all this honey... :)

Latest posts

Back