Centennial Hops for Arrogant Bastard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I've got a lot of Centennial hops vacuum packed in the freezer. The AA is 11.4.

For the last batch of Arrogant Bastard, the recipe called for Chinook, nearly four ounces.

What are your thoughts of Centennial as a replacement for Chinook in Arrogant Bastard? I'd like to use what I have.

I also have a bunch of Cascade and Perle.

I'm looking for "ball park" not direct clone.

It could work. You probably wont get as much of that spice as you would if you used Chinook. I guess just remember to account for the difference in AA.

You'll get a Two-Hearted Bastard.

I'd be inclined to at least pick up an ounce or two of the Chinook to blend in for the latest of additions. Although I have honestly no idea what Perle would do to the mix. I happen to have an all Centennial hopped pale ale at the dryhopping phase now. It was 10% C40 and the balance pilsner. I struggle to picture it working with dark fruit and burnt raison notes of C120 or 150 mixed in there.

I guess it's Chinook then :)

There is such a difference between chinook and centennial. Well, between chinook and anything else, really.

I think an all-centennial AB would be great, but much more like a Stone Ruination than AB. The AB works because of the super dark crystal and the chinook hops in combination. The dark crystal with an all-centennial beer may not be as nice.

But since you have so much centennial, do a Ruination clone first!

Yeah - you'll never get the Arrogant Bastard character without chinook - it is essential to that recipe.
Perle is definitely not a substitute!

Back