High Sierra (Sierra Nevada) Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled my first glass of this tonight from the kegerator, pretty dang good! I dry-hopped with 2 oz of cascades, so it has the aroma of an IPA. Taste is very close to a SNPA, just slightly undercarbed at this point, only 4 days in the keg. My best brew so far!

I should note, my recipe was slightly different

I bottled mine last night. I was so happy jumping around the house like a crazy my wife thought i was nutz, it smells just like SNPA. I dry hopped with 2 oz of cascade pellets.

100_0044.jpg

I used 10 lb of Pale Malt and .75 lb crystal 60 for a 5 gal batch. Best beer I've made so far!

snpa.jpg

So I compared my SNPA with a real one tonight, I had to take into consideration that the real SNPA bottle was a few months old at this point. Color was spot on! The head on mine was really white while the head on the SNPA was slightly tan, at least compared to mine. Mine has MUCH more hop bitterness and not much of any malt sweetness compared to the SNPA. I'm not sure if it's due to my water or what, but sipping back and forth between the two, the real SNPA tastes soo much maltier. For a first all grain, I did pretty well, but my clone is lacking in the malt department.

wow... that's damn close. I gotta say, this sounds like a good beginner all-grain beer. Cheap (sub 13 bucks minus yeast) and comparable to the real thing.

Will give this thing a try tomorrow if i don't get called in for jury duty.

BTW, how would the Nottingham yeast do?

giving this type recipe a try today! 60 boil, mash 152, pale, c40, carapils. just magnum bittering, .33 cascade Fwh, should be a crowd pleaser...

Back