Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temp do I need to pitch yeast? Below 70 or more toward the initial fermentation temp of lower to mid 60s? Thx. Happy 4th!! Brew day for me!

Hope someone can help fast! Made this recipe, but added 1 lb lf amber malt extract for efficiency as I do biab. My OG is 1.083. Wtf??? Can I addwater to water it down? Supposed to be 1.051. Worked at this all day. This is what gets people of out the hobby. Pissed!
Guess I screwed up adding the extract? I was gonna buy an xtra lb of grain and forgot

Hope someone can help fast! Made this recipe, but added 1 lb lf amber malt extract for efficiency as I do biab. My OG is 1.083. Wtf??? Can I addwater to water it down? Supposed to be 1.051. Worked at this all day. This is what gets people of out the hobby. Pissed!
Guess I screwed up adding the extract? I was gonna buy an xtra lb of grain and forgot

If the extract was not fully mixed in, maybe you got a concentrated section if you did a late addition? Otherwise you could water it down a bit to get closer to share you want. The hop utilization may be a little off but I am not certain if that will matter much on this recipe.

I boiled the lb of extract with the rest for 90 minutes. I actually **** er down a few minutes early. I am at a loss. I'll try another reading after I rack to fermentor in a minute.

It appears as if I had more boil off than i always have. ??? Hmmm. Maybe boiled harder. Can I top off to my expected batch size if that is the case? 5.25.

It appears as if I had more boil off than i always have. ??? Hmmm. Maybe boiled harder. Can I top off to my expected batch size if that is the case? 5.25.

I would say that would be fine. At least that is what I would do if fermentation hasnt started or just started.

Also, did you calculate how much extract to add or just threw it in? I believe 1 lb of extract will add about 7 points.

Just threw it in! I added about a gallon and a half to my wort. It was around 4 gallon. This brought it down to 1.054. Damn. I screwed up big time. Anyone have an idea what I'll have as a finished product?

Just threw it in! I added about a gallon and a half to my wort. It was around 4 gallon. This brought it down to 1.054. Damn. I screwed up big time. Anyone have an idea what I'll have as a finished product?

Live and learn. You made beer. :) not to the recipe so it may be a little less bitter and also finish a little higher with the extract in there, but I bet it will still be good.

Sounds like an extreme amount of boil off though to miss your target by over a gallon.

Brewed this yesterday and FG was 1.060. Used Pacman yeast.

OktoberFAST Ale - Oktoberfest/Märzen (3B)
Brewer Nobody
Date 6/30/13
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 70%
OG 1.052 FG 1.013
ABV 5.1% Bitterness 20.8 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 12.6 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 172
Fermentables

Total grain: 11.750 lb
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Rahr - 2 Row Malt Grain 4.250 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Vienna Malt Grain 2.500 lb Yes No 78% 4.0 srm
Munich Malt - 20L Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 75% 20.0 srm
Aromatic Malt Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 78% 26.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 75% 20.0 srm
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 73% 1.3 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74% 40.0 srm
Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Tettnang 4.8% 0.750 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 11.3
Tettnang 4.8% 0.400 oz Boil 45.000 min Pellet 5.5
Hersbrucker 4.2% 0.400 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.0

I will be brewing this weekend for my brother's October wedding. I will be using the Mangrove Jack's Workhorse yeast which is supposed to be lager like up to 68. I debated using a cal common yeast but could not get one in time.

Brewed this 2 weeks ago. BIAB. Had to add a lot of top off water. Way more boil off than i'm used to. So, I figured I'd screwed it up. Tasted it today from fermentor, pretty darn good! Cant wait until its bottles and done!

I read through almost all of the posts and cant find a verdict on the final extract recipe posted on one of the first few pages

Ingredients

3.86 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 41.16 %
1.40 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 14.95 %
1.33 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14.23 %
1.15 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 12.25 %
1.09 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.61 %
0.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
1.27 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (45 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.5 SRM Color: Color

I am going shopping today. Just wondering if this is what I need to brew.
Thanks!

Has anybody tried an extended primary fermentation for like six weeks with no secondary? Just wondering if I can get get away with it on this recipe.

Has anybody tried an extended primary fermentation for like six weeks with no secondary? Just wondering if I can get get away with it on this recipe.

I'm sure when I made this last year, I did 21 days primary then into Keg. I was best at about 3-4 weeks in Keg, but still good right away.
I used the PacMan yeast last year, but planning on using Cali Lager this year.

BPhad said:
I'm sure when I made this last year, I did 21 days primary then into Keg. I was best at about 3-4 weeks in Keg, but still good right away.
I used the PacMan yeast last year, but planning on using Cali Lager this year.

Thanks, I try to avoid doing a secondary if I can.

I think I'm going to do three gallons of this as a test run as soon as the ambient temps in my basement go below 70. That might be a while so I might be doing the swamp cooler....

I wound up ordering a little different based on cost.
Just wondering how it will come out compared to the original recipe.

The yeast is us-04 and the hops are the same.
Steep.

Briess Caramel (Crystal) 20L 1 lb
Briess Caramel (Crystal) 40L 1 lb
Dingemans Caravienne Cara 20 1 lb

Boil
Muntons Extra Light Dried Malt Extract
Briess Pilsen Light Canister 3.3 Lb.
Briess Sparkling Amber Canister3.3 Lb

Brewed a partial-mash conversion of this about a month ago. Made a few substitutions for LHBS availability, and I used Kolsch yeast that I had saved from a previous batch of Kolsch.

I don't think I'm a big fan of what I ended up with, though it's drinkable. Friends seem to think it's just fine (at the "okay" level). I think it has a bit of weird acidity at the beginning and a bitter, metallic finish. But then, I noticed some of the same flavors when I last had a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Thoughts on this?

I will note that once you've had about 1 1/3 pints and the other 2/3 has warmed up considerably (to "cool" rather than "cold"), it's much better.

Brewed a partial-mash conversion of this about a month ago. Made a few substitutions for LHBS availability, and I used Kolsch yeast that I had saved from a previous batch of Kolsch.

I don't think I'm a big fan of what I ended up with, though it's drinkable. Friends seem to think it's just fine (at the "okay" level). I think it has a bit of weird acidity at the beginning and a bitter, metallic finish. But then, I noticed some of the same flavors when I last had a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Thoughts on this?

I will note that once you've had about 1 1/3 pints and the other 2/3 has warmed up considerably (to "cool" rather than "cold"), it's much better.

I notice that if a beer gets overcarbed. Could that be the case?

I notice that if a beer gets overcarbed. Could that be the case?

It could. At this point I'll take any suggestions, since I can't identify the flavor or relate it to anything else. It's very fresh out of force carbing. While I'm pretty sure I did my force carb math well and have had good success with this process in the past, it should stabilize out in a couple of days, so I'll see.

give it more time and I bet it improves.

I should've, but didn't mention that it's only a couple of days out from being kegged and carbed. Every beer has been better by the end of the keg than at the beginning. :)

I read through almost all of the posts and cant find a verdict on the final extract recipe posted on one of the first few pages

Ingredients

3.86 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 41.16 %
1.40 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 14.95 %
1.33 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14.23 %
1.15 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 12.25 %
1.09 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.61 %
0.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
1.27 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (45 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.5 SRM Color: Color

I am going shopping today. Just wondering if this is what I need to brew.
Thanks!

Anyone care to chime in who has gone the extract route? Anyone convert the liquid to dry?

Read all 37 pages and will be brewing tomorrow.

Because my tettnang hops are 4.5 my IBU comes out to 29.8, is this too much?

Can someone taste a difference of 9 IBUs? my guess would be yes in this recipe
Any comments would be appreciated

Read all 37 pages and will be brewing tomorrow.

Because my tettnang hops are 4.5 my IBU comes out to 29.8, is this too much?

Can someone taste a difference of 9 IBUs? my guess would be yes in this recipe
Any comments would be appreciated

Yep, it matters. An additional 9 IBU would swing the flavor profile over to slightly hoppy. Not exactly what this style is shooting for.

Try not using some your hops. Brewing a 5gal batch? Go with .75 oz instead of the full 1 oz at 60 min to keep the IBUs lower.

Pro tip: use software when scaling or calculating recipes. This free web based one works well enough for me: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Cheers!

OctoberFAST_HopsRatio.jpg

Its10.5 batch at 70 percent I use beer itch and will take off 1 oz at the first addition brings me to 21 IBU s .
Prost

BM,

Thanks for such an awesome brew recipe!
I brewed this yesterday and man does she look/smell gooooooooood.

Not sure if it's still green but I gave this a month in primary at 64 degrees and three weeks in the bottles and it tastes off. I'm not quite sure how to describe it besides maybe cidery? Any suggestions?

Not sure if it's still green but I gave this a month in primary at 64 degrees and three weeks in the bottles and it tastes off. I'm not quite sure how to describe it besides maybe cidery? Any suggestions?

Did you use s04? I have gotten a cidery taste sometimes from s04 that gets too warm. Having said that I am now tasting some that has been in the bottle 10 days and its pretty awesome. I ended up using s05 as I am very comfortable with using that yeast in my house in summer at room temps.

Mine is 18 days old and in the keg now aging a bit. Can't wait to try it. I finished at 1.020 with S-04. 158 mash rest, fermented at 64, ramped up to 75 after 2 weeks. Hydrometer samples tasted very promising! I've got a slightly modified Revvy rye in the keezer right now finishing up fermenting. Once that is out I'll stick this on the gas and start chilling it. I'll be glad to get my keezer back! NEVER let your pipeline run dry is all I'm sayin :eek:

Did you use s04? I have gotten a cidery taste sometimes from s04 that gets too warm. Having said that I am now tasting some that has been in the bottle 10 days and its pretty awesome. I ended up using s05 as I am very comfortable with using that yeast in my house in summer at room temps.

I did use s04 and I forgot there was a day when the ac went out. That sucks. I thought the hydro sample tasted good though.

Brewed a PM version about a month ago, and just had my first taste. It's still young and slightly under-carbed, but I've got friends in this weekend and I needed to know whether I should fridge some for them to try. Pretty good! Not that sweet, though, so my mash temperature may have been low. Also still very yeasty, despite having cold-crashed for two days on gelatin before bottling, but that's probably because it was only in the fridge two days.

Can't wait for it to age another couple weeks - it should be a perfect sharing beer!

Well I was a little worried when my first bottle tasted very cidery but with a little more time and s few days in the fridge all is right with the world.

What a difference a few days makes! Carbonation levels are perfect, and this has turned out to be a damn fine beer. No off flavors, the sweetness is present without being overwhelming, a lightly caramelly-toasty flavor, great aroma, and crystal clear.

I had a few commercial oktoberfests over the weekend from local breweries, and this one tops them all!

Back