Kegging wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife is just getting into wine making, I am already a home brewer, and in the process of building a keggerator. I was wondering if anyone has ever expermented or herd about kegging wine. If so can you give us some details or links. Thanks

I keg my wine and use 2 psi to dispense. Don't know what there is to say beyond that, other than it is becoming common in the commercial sector.

If you want sparkling wine you can use CO2 of course, but a better choice for a gas to use to dispense wine might be argon or nitrogen. However if the wine is not to be stored long term under pressure, then CO2 would work nicely. Shut off the gas to the keg when not in use and release the pressure from the keg. The small amount of CO2 left in the tank should not cause any noticable amount of carbonation.

I also recommend getting the wine faucet (plastic I believe) or use a picnic tap.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

I'm bringing up a dead thread to ask some questions.

I hear lots of people say to dispense still wine with 2 psi and then release the pressure after serving. If you release pressure the keg won't be sealed... won't that ruin the wine? Any other cheap options? I don't want to buy a second tank for N2 or Argon.

blizzard said:
I'm bringing up a dead thread to ask some questions.

I hear lots of people say to dispense still wine with 2 psi and then release the pressure after serving. If you release pressure the keg won't be sealed... won't that ruin the wine? Any other cheap options? I don't want to buy a second tank for N2 or Argon.

As long as you keep CO2 in the keg to displace the oxygen, it won't go bad. Just keep minimal positive pressure.

Nitrogen is the way to go....

Back