Bottling bigger beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemicalcraig

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial brown ale that kind of toes the line with a barleywine. Primary fermentation is done and it's sitting in the secondary. It started at 1.086 and got down to 1.017 giving 8.9% ABV and 80% AA. I used 2 packets of safale us05. My question is this: since I racked to a secondary and given the higher alcohol content and attenuation of this beer, do I need to pitch some yeast into the bottling bucket when it gets bottled? My thinking is that whatever little yeast made it to the secondary is probably stressed from working so hard and nearly dead from the toxic effects of alcohol on yeast.
What have people done with their barleywines?

Nope you will be fine S-05 has a tolerance of about 12%. Unless you are aging this things for 6+ months I would not worry about adding more yeast you still have plenty suspended. How long ago did you transfer to seconday? How long was it in primary? 80% attenuation is pretty good. You should be fine to just prime and bottle.

Plus you used 2 packets of yeast so there is plenty there. The only time you really need to be concerned about that is if you bulk aged the beer for a year in secondary....

what they said. I had a wee heavy that started at 1.110 and finished at 1.020. Aged it on oak for 4 months. Had concerns that it would not carbonate. Came out great. It probley took a little longer but its not like it hurts to wait on something like this (2 months compared to the 4 weeks).

Thanks for the replies everyone. You put my mind at ease. It was only in the primary for 8 days and has been in the secondary for 4 days. I'll probably give it another 2 wks or so before bottling. I knew the us05 was a workhorse, but didn't know it was that hearty. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back