Raa (Rye Amber Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 60-62*F
Tasting Notes
A great tasting, balanced, American beer
A well balanced beer, I think, with the sweet malt and the spice from the rye and hops. Dark copper color. Again just a nice American ale. Something when I say "I would like a beer" this beer now comes to mind.

5 gallons boil for 4 gallons fermentation Not the usual 6 gallon boil with 5 gallon for fermentation.

6 lbs American 2-row
2 lbs rye
.5 lbs Crystal 40L
.5 lbs Crystal 80L
2 oz roasted barley (for color)

Used Cluster (7.7%AA) and Willamette (4.6%AA) for the hops.

(This hop schedule was from my beginning formulation days. Probably make it much simpler next time I brew this. But really this beer is just a nice AAA malt profile and you pick the hops.)
.5oz Cluster 45 mins
.5oz Willamette 45 mins
.25oz Cluster 25 mins
.25oz Willamette 25 mins
.25oz Cluster 5 mins
.25oz Willamette 5 mins

1 Tsp. Irish moss at 15 Mins
1/2 cup priming sugar

Mashed via the B.I.A.B. method for 60 mins at 151-153*F. Ramped up to 170*F for mash out. Boiled for 60 minutes total.

Another beer that I will be sharing with friends without any hesitation.

Sure. I'll swap. Just let me know how. I have mine in 22's or 12's. It will be interesting to see the different tastes with the hops and the crystals vs. caraaroma

This beer has mellowed nicely. Next time I think I will bump the IBU's to about 40ish just to get that extra umph over the malty background. Maybe use 3oz total of hops instead of just 2oz total. Anxiously awaiting trying this grain bill with Amarillo hops!

Here is a picture.

Adam Jablonowski's Photos | Facebook

If someone can get it to show up in a post, go for it. I am inept when it comes to photo sizing on a computer. :( I can only get the small one below to show.

s2344016_51657132_7387.jpg

Back