UK/US Customs and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I've found a homebrew shops here in London that are selling some fresh noble hops for around $20-24 US per lb.

But I can't seem to find a customs law that would prevent me bringing them home to the states. As well I can't seem to find any law that would prevent me bring some to the UK when I move here.

Has anyone done this before and if so ran into any issues?

I found the customs entering into the UK non-existent.

It's not like the US where you collect your luggage and declare.

You go through immigrations and then collect your luggage and.... nothing.

Catch the tube or taxi.

Customs probably won't have a problem. Check the US Agriculture Dept. they seem to be more interested than Customs when I have come back from abroad. They might not be happy with the hops.

Here, I even looked it up (I am bored):
Fruits, Vegetables, and Plants
Depending on the country of origin, some fruits, vegetables, and plants may be brought into the United States without advance permission, provided they are declared, inspected, and found free of pests. However, certain plants and ANY plant parts intended for growing (propagative) require a phytosanitary certificate in advance. For information on certificates, contact the USDA/APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine Permit Unit. Also, check the Information Resources section at the end of this notice for details.

I think you're fine bringing in hop flowers into the US, but rhizomes would require a phytosanitation certificate. Coming into the UK, I think you'd be fine with either.

Back