Old Timer Sayings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my Dad was doing a repair on one of the million things on the farm He would say that close enough for government work.:mug:

The character of Gabby Johnson was taken from the popular Gabby Hayes on WHK radio when I was a kid. He was always sayin', " I'm tired, tired, tired of hearin' about it!" to whatever was being discussed. Besides the good ol' frontier gibberish.

That kid is a day late and a dollar short.

If I had your money I'd throw mine away.

You would spite your nose to save your face.

Also from Grandpa, regarding how much help a boy or boys will be in any given situation.

"One boy, whole boy.
Two boys, half boy.
Three boys, no boy."

Proof of the puding's in the eatin.

Power mower? Naw I got a push mower. Yeah that's right $2 front & back (good ole gramps)

Slower than molasses

When the wife is in a bad mood you tell the fellows at the club I am going home " for a little hot tongue and cold shoulder"

As a very young boy I can recall my Grandpa always telling me "Son, keep it as clean as a whistle because you never know when someone will want to blow it!"

Long after Grandpa passed, in my mid twenties I was reflecting on what Grandpa used to tell me a a young lad and it suddenly hit me...

I knew EXACTLY what he was talking about ( ;

When my parents built their house, my Dad had a toilet plumbed in the basement, so he wouldn't have to run upstairs to "answer the call." On the wall over the toilet tank, he hung this sign:

"WE AIM TO PLEASE. WON'T YOU AIM, TOO, PLEASE?"

Wish I would have kept that sign when my Mom sold the house.

glenn514:mug:

Good advice to always follow: "Son, God gave you two ears and one mouth; use 'em in them proportions."

When troubled or worried: "Follow grandpa's two rules. Rule number one, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two, everything is small stuff."

"That's about as good as a fart in a spacesuit"

"Can't get blood out of a turnip."

Try using your head for something else besides keeping your ears from clanging together ... my paw's favorite. :D

Tis better to be silent and thought a fool than speak and be known as one.

Smart is the finder for the smell lies behind her. (Grandma's fart joke)

If you were doing (insert activity here) for $H!T, you wouldn't be anywhere close to a smell. (various males in my family used this one)

Regarding a useless worker: "Hiring him was like losing 2 of my best men."

"'Bout as hard to run around him as it is to jump over him." Said by our shop teacher about our tallest (and heaviest) football player.

Back