Size of chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With freezers testing is the only way. I have a 5.0 and mine will take 3 cornies, but I saw a post today of an 8.0 that only had space for two.

Yep, you need to see it and, if possible, set an empty corny keg down in it to see. They vary because of the "hump" where the compressor is. That space usually is no good for kegs.

TL

I got the 7 cu ft from Home Depot. I can fit 4 on the floor and 2 on the hump with the collar. I only have 4 kegs at the moment so I am putting one carboy and the CO2 tank there. Most ball lock kegs are about 8.5 inches across in diameter, I took a piece of copy paper and used it to measure (since it is 8.5in. wide).

8361-100_2621.JPG

Do people put insulation on their collars? It seems like the heat loss from just using a piece of wood - especially a piece of 1x - would be huge.

you have to remember cold air sinks not rises.

SOme people insulate, others dont.

i used 2x6 and even if unplug it, it takes a long time before it warms up.

I've got a 12 3/4 cu.ft. Frigidaire that will hold 7 kegs, plus my 20# CO2 tank. The hump is where I put my jars of saved yeast and directly above I have the basket that came with it where I put my hops and what not. I don't need a collar to fit kegs in height wise, but if I ever want to run faucets instead of party taps I will need to build one. This freezer is 8 years old, works like new and was found on craigslist for $65.00

I don't know who this Craig guy is, but I owe him a cold beer!

Back