Mixing brews for the sake of space.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiend

Reaction score
I have 2 5 gallon carboys going (Of the exact same recipe)
I want to put one of them in an oak barrel, however it won't fill it all the way. Which is something I need to keep the wood soaked and keep oxygen out.

Would it be a bad idea to put a slight amount of one into the other to fill?
Exact same recipe and brew. Only difference is a few days between making. Primary is done I would hope because they have been sitting for a good 2 months so far.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
-Cheers. V

You can just bottle and send the extra to me...or do what you have planned and fill:D

I don't see a problem, as long as you're careful with contamination and i'm sure that you are:tank:

I've never used a barrel myself but from what I understand people do this all the time. Even if it's not the same beer some people blend them. And with some Belgians/sours/thinks that need to age a long time some evaporation happens and people top up with different beers.

Basically, I think it's a great idea personally :mug:

I have 2 5 gallon carboys going (Of the exact same recipe)
I want to put one of them in an oak barrel, however it won't fill it all the way. Which is something I need to keep the wood soaked and keep oxygen out.

Would it be a bad idea to put a slight amount of one into the other to fill?
Exact same recipe and brew. Only difference is a few days between making. Primary is done I would hope because they have been sitting for a good 2 months so far.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
-Cheers. V

Shouldn't be an issue. Also, if you don't have one get yourself a hydrometer, only way to know if it's ready to bottle.

Rick

Excellent. Thank you all for your input.
Will let you know how it turns out.

Back