Will some corn sugar in beer make it taste bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I meant to get dextrose at the brew store but I forgot and am not going to be able to make it back. I wanted to put about 6-7% sugar in the beer to ferment out a bit dryer. I just wanted to make sure that it won't give it an off flavor as I have read some places. I have heard that it is fine but never had people do it and tell me.
Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Matt

Youre beer is going to be fine, it may impact the body but in such a small amount that you probably wont notice. Youre just boosting the ABV

Corn sugar is dextrose, so if you have corn sugar you're good. I do not think you will get any off flavors at all with 6-7% corn sugar. As you said, it might drop the FG another .005-.01. While boosting the ABV, it will not add any body. Which can be good sometimes (e.g. Belgians).

Some people say table sugar is not as good, but in small amounts I've never noticed.

I am doing a brown ale. And yes, I meant cane sugar (table sugar). Sorry I forgot to clarify. Ok so, good to go?

I am doing a brown ale. And yes, I meant cane sugar (table sugar). Sorry I forgot to clarify. Ok so, good to go?

You should be fine if you keep it restrained. You don't want a brown ale to be overly dry or thin. 6-7% should be fine, make sure you consider that this sugar will ferment completely dry when considering types and amounts of specialty malts. I've used both cane sugar and dextrose in low amounts, it works fine.

It will be just fine...if you really want to be a rebel use some beet sugar :)

Never had a problem with any type of sugar. The off flavors people talk about are most likely fermentation issues, because many of the old sugar heavy recipes were made under less than ideal conditions. Treat it right and it will be good.

Even for corn sugar where's the dms coming from? It's just sucrose. There's no dms, smm, or other precurser.

It can be a problem with a can and kilo beer (1.5 kg malt extract and a kilo of cane sugar) , but 6-7%? No problem. I've used as much as 25% in a GF beer to counter the sweetness of the sorghum and it turned out fine.

I've put sugar in my beer to boost the abv. Yes it does thin the beer and can make it taste less flavorful. I added a little to much to my porter and it didn't have the think boldness to it. It was still great tho and you can't complain about drinking one beer and feeling like your starting your third lol. Isn't that the great thing about home brewing

Since it's a brown ale,you could use some demerara sugar (raw cane sugar from the baking needs isle). It has a light brown sugar laced with honey flavor to it. But also keep in mind that less cane sugar is used compared to corn sugar.

Latest posts

Back