GF Light Adjunct Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman

Reaction score
i just racked this yesterday and found it to be quite delicious, so i thought i would share. FYI what i was going for here was a very light, macro-style lager, something the GF ladies in my life requested. my wife always enjoyed Old Style, so this also gave me a chance to try to 'Kraeusening' for the first time.

3.5 gallon batch

2.00 lb Sorghum Liquid Extract 39.7 %
0.85 lb Brown Rice Syrup 16.9 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked 19.9 %
14.0 oz Rice, Minute Rice 17.4 %
5.00 oz Malted and kilned Buckwheat 6.2 %
0.45 oz Santiam [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.25 oz Santiam [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Santiam [6.00%] (0 min) Hops -
5.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

i mashed the buckwheat, flaked corn, and minute rice with amylase and about 1/3lb of rice hulls in a steeping bag for a few hours at 155. once conversion was completed, i removed the bag and put it in a second pot with 175 degree water and left it there for about 15 mins. i squeezed the bag and combined both pots, and set off to boil. added extract and hops.

cooled to mid-50s and pitched a 85% packet of SAFLAGER S-23 (dry). reserved ~.5gal of wort in a separate sanitized container and refrigerated.

OG: 1.046

kept at about 53deg for 17 days until i did a D-rest (1.020) for 3 days at 68deg. at the start of the D-rest, i added the rest of the yeast (slurry this time) to the reserved vessel, let fermentation build up for 3 days, then added this to the original wort and stored at about 50.

i just racked this after a week and i plan on holding this around 45-50 this for another month at least. so far, so good. i look forward to another sample soon.

i mashed the buckwheat, flaked corn, and minute rice with about 1/3lb of rice hulls in a steeping bag for a few hours at 155. once conversion was completed, i removed the bag and put it in a second pot with 175 degree water and left it there for about 15 mins.

You got complete conversion mashing with just those grains? Did you do an actual starch test? If so, what's the trick? I didn't think any of those grains could convert on their own.

i've used 1/2 pound of malto in plenty of other GF beers and never really noticed any issues. my LHBS had some in 5oz bags and since i'm lazy, i just went with it.

i used amylase to convert. sorry i forgot to mention that. i've edited the original post.

Back