Winemaking for the Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianobrew

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for about a year and a half now and would like to try out wine. My question is what do you think I would need to buy equipment-wise considering that I have all of my homebrewing equipment on hand.

Doing a little bit of research, this is what I came up with:

8 gallon plastic bucket
6 gallon carboy
Something to degas the wine
Corker
Corks
Bottles

I already have a siphon, hydrometer, sanitizer, cleaning supplies, airlocks, and other fun items that I use for beer.

Am I on the right track here?

That's pretty much it, but add some miscellaneous chemicals and test kits if you're really going to get into it, but basically if you have the vessels and airlocks for beer you can use those and get everything else when you need it. Wine is a much longer process so you can spread out the investment.

Acid Blend, pH test kit (for wine), degassing tool, Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate, Yest Nutrient..

Mostly the small and cheap chems and tools. I'd look at using cheap plastic carboys for short term use, and glass carboys for aging. If you like making wine, you might want a couple, since they can sit for many months.

Back