Tasty's Janet's Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I have searched, but been unable to find an extact recipe for Tasty's Janet's Brown Ale. Does anyone have one? Or may it be because the recipe does not translate well to extract?

There's a Janet's Brown recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I recommend that you buy the book since there are quite a few tips and procedure recommendations that I'm not willing to retype it. But. here are the numbers that will get you there.

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
IBU: 63
SRM: 21
ABV: 6.6%

Boil: 60 Minutes
Pre Boil Volume: 7 Gallons (26.5L)
Pre Boil Gravity: 1.056

Extract:
Light LME 8.4 lbs. (3.81Kg)
Wheat LME 1.0 lbs. (0.45Kg)

Steeping Grains:
CaraPils 1.25lbs. (0.56Kg)
Crystal 40 1.25lbs. (0.56Kg)
Chocolate 420L Malt 0.5lb (227g)

Hops:
Northern Brewer (6.5%AA) 2.0oz (57g) @ 60 Minutes
Northern Brewer (6.5%AA) 1.0oz (28g) @ 15 Minutes
Cascade (6.0%AA) 1.5oz (43g) @ 10 Minutes
Cascade (6.0%AA) 1.5oz (43g) @ 0 Minutes
Centennial (9.0%AA) 2.0oz. (57g) Dryhop

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001

Fermentation:
2 Litre starter or use 2.5 packages. Ferment @ 67F (19C)

There's something about a little wheat in the brew
that makes it extra "tasty". Here's a partial mash recipe of mine
for a pale ale that came out well:

3 lbs pale ale malt
1 lb Munich malt
0.5 lb crystal malt 60 L
6 oz wheat malt
2 oz Belgian aromatic malt
~3.05 lb John Bull light unhopped liquid malt extract
1 oz Northdown hops 6.4% aa 60 min
0.5 oz English Kent Golding plugs 5% aa 60 min
dry hop with .5 oz goldings plug
Wyeast #1056 american ale yeast
Using distilled water throughout.
Added 1/4 teaspoon of gypsum to the mash water

Fermentation around 68 with a water bath.
Dry hopped 1 week in secondary, then bottled.
Best served at 55F.

Ray :mug:

I'm brewing some Janet's Brown next weekend and think I've found my past error in the recipe. I've used Fawcetts Chocolate in the past and am planning on Briess this time. I think the English Chocolate is a bit too much for the recipe....but well see. Too bad I do not have the time to do two consecutive batches and compare the Chocolates.

I will be brewing the More beer extract kit for this today!!!!! I have heard lots of good things about it, Im super excited!

By the way the More Beer kit I brewed tastes great!!!! One of the best I've done thus far.

Thanks for the update. I brewed the version from Brewing Classic Styles at the end of the summer. After six weeks in the bottles, it was good, but didn't blow me away. I put the rest away and had one a couple weeks ago (after three months in the bottle) and it was incredible. The next time I brew this, I may try the kit, just for the convenience of having everything assembled for me.

Back