Are you allergic to onions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you allergic to onions?

• Nope!

• I am definitly allergic.

• I hate onions so I tell the pizza guy I'm allergic.

• I hate onions, but don't say that I'm allergic. That's crazy!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, being half Italian, I can say I'm lucky NOT to be allergic to onions. I can't imagine what I'd eat if I was...:D

I have never heard of someone being allergic to onions.

I've never met anyone that was allergic. However, I talk to random people almost daily that claim to be. I manage a pizza restaurant, FYI. I swear everyone that doesn't like them says they're allergic. I was curious if this is actually a common allergy that I just never ran into outside of pizza world.

This sample, anyway, is looking pretty conclusive so far...

I've never met anyone that was allergic. However, I talk to random people almost daily that claim to be. I manage a pizza restaurant, FYI. I swear everyone that doesn't like them says they're allergic. I was curious if this is actually a common allergy that I just never ran into outside of pizza world.

http://www.instah.com/allergies/onion-allergy/

" If you feel strange discomfort and breakout of rashes etc after consuming onions, you suffer from a rare onion allergy. This allergy is caused by exposure to or consumption of onions"

While people often give me the old line, "No onions on that, I'm allergic", the catalyst to this thread was exceptional.

Lady: I want a large BBQ Chicken pizza with no onions. I'm deathly allergic to onions, so please make sure there's not even a tiny bit on there.

Me: No problem. Although, I should let you know that there are onions in the sauce we use on that pizza.

Lady: I don't think so. I had it this way last time and didn't taste any.

Me: Ok. You got it!.....

While this sort of interaction is not uncommon in this...um..."blue-collar" community, it became painfully obvious that she was not "allergic", but she just really wanted to make sure that us stupid food-industry folks made sure there weren't any icky onions on her pizza.

It prompted me to see how many people out there are (or think they are) allergic to onions. I've always suspected that this almost daily assertion of allergy was false, but this just pushed it over the edge.

If someone in HBT land really is allergic to onions, that'd be interesting to know!

SWMBO HATES onions and uses the allergic line but i know its not true as i have used onions in dishes and as long as they are not visible and not to strong she eats them with no issues.

While a allergy to onions might be a RARE thing, I think people who don't like onions just say they are allergic.

I think I might be allergic. Every time I'm around fresh cut onions, I start having an allergic reaction w/ my eyes turning red and watering profusely..oh, the horror!! :eek:

Actually, I used to hate onions as a kid, but I eat 'em all the time on most anything now.

I wouldn't call it an allergy, but don't tolerate them well. Fresh onions are much worse than dehydrated or powder.

It's amazing what percentage of grocery store items has onions as an ingredient!

I'm not exactly allergic but every time I have them, I get some of the worst heartburn (doesn't matter what they are in/with).

I did know a guy who was allergic. Had to carry an epi pen with him all the time. Was not pretty when they put onions on his burger at McDs

I love onions! I eat them like apples every now and then.

I couldn't imagine having a food allergy. I grew up as the kid that would eat anything, and everything, and all of it if it was placed in front of me. I'm still that way somewhat, but I've been watching my diet. I've always been told to keep a roof over my "head", but now the roof is starting to sag...

SWMBO thinks I might be allergic. Every time I eat sauteed onions the bedroom stinks! Hmmm, think I need to see a professional?

Love onions. Nothing's better than an onion and mustard sandwich.

sounds like you and my father-in-law would get along. i think he'd eat onions like an apple if given the chance.
i like onions. swmbo and i would put them in just about anything while cooking.

Tell them that there are onion juices on the cutlery and preparation surfaces. $20 says they wont care :p

MBasile said:
Tell them that there are onion juices on the cutlery and preparation surfaces. $20 says they wont care :p

Yep. Done that. Suddenly they aren't "deathly" allergic. :roll:

Being allergic to onions would totally suck!

Not as much as being allergic to citrus like a friend of mine. Makes it very difficult to eat out because chefs are always squeezing citrus juice into food that doesn't need it.

The results are looking interesting...no one so far is allergic. Although, one guy likes to tell me he is when he orders. I'm curious, mysterious person, why? Why do you feel the need to tell me that? Do you think I lack the amount of rigor required to simply leave them off with out telling me it's a medical problem? If so, I assure you that me and my crew takes pride in their job and does not need to be convinced that you really meant "no onions".

According to this onion allergies do exist, though are very rare. As for all of those that say that they are "deathly allergic", most of them are just trying to keep from eating those icky onions. Personally, I love 'em.

I'm of the opinion that people who don't like onions aren't cooking them right. Sweat them out in a little olive oil and/or butter, a little salt and pepper, get them nice and soft and translucent... they don't really taste like "onion," they're sweet and savory and just a great foundation to almost any dish. Just like garlic, if you cook it right, you don't get that aggressive bite, but you do bring in some wonderful, "full" flavors.

Try cooking with shallots, too, they're 10x better.

the_bird said:
I'm of the opinion that people who don't like onions aren't cooking them right. Sweat them out in a little olive oil and/or butter, a little salt and pepper, get them nice and soft and translucent... they don't really taste like "onion," they're sweet and savory and just a great foundation to almost any dish. Just like garlic, if you cook it right, you don't get that aggressive bite, but you do bring in some wonderful, "full" flavors.

For me it's the texture of them, not the taste. I actually like the taste.

+1 MB, cut them small and cook them and I'mgood, otherwise not so much.

Hey Curly, its not you, but in general I don't trust the restruant industry. It tends to employ alot of younger people who don't give a s***...I wouldn't take it personally. I think alot of people are less likely to complain to restruants out of fear, instead they use other tactics, like being allergic to onoins, or never going back to a restruant that screws up.

+1 MB, cut them small and cook them and I'mgood, otherwise not so much.

Hey Curly, its not you, but in general I don't trust the restruant industry. It tends to employ alot of younger people who don't give a s***...I wouldn't take it personally. I think alot of people are less likely to complain to restruants out of fear, instead they use other tactics, like being allergic to onoins, or never going back to a restruant that screws up.

I hire a lot of younger people myself. If they aren't on board with me, I get rid of them. I'm a big fan of "Hire slow, Fire fast." Because of this, I have a great crew that sticks around. No one wants to work with a losing team. My average tenure is well over a year and I'm proud of that.

I just want people to be upfront with me. If you said, "Last time I said no onions and there were some on there. Can you make sure this time?" I'd be embarrassed, apologize, and do whatever I can to make it right. But I wouldn't be irritated as if you felt the need to lie to me. Us food-service folks (regardless if they are younger than you), are not beneath you. Please don't treat as such unless we give you reason too. I've also ran into the other side of the spectrum and know what it's like to deal with food folks that don't give two sh!ts. I politely tell their manager, and never go there again if they don't attempt to remedy it.

:mug:

At SwampassJ: :p

Don't think it's anything overly special. It is a franchise restaurant. :eek:

I have to agree with pretty much everything you just said... Haven't had too much time with shallots, but I LOVE cooking with onions... Especially Vadalia onions...

Best way I've found to combat the tears when cutting them up... Chill them in the fridge at least overnight before you go cutting into them. Cut the ends off, then give them a quick rinse in cold water and it's all good.

I use onions in so much of what I cook it would truly SUCK if I couldn't eat them anymore. Almost as bad if I suddenly couldn't eat fresh garlic... Only thing that tops the list would be beer, or anything fermented. :eek: Hell, I even saute some onions and mushrooms when making taco's... I think my blood is part EVOO now too. It's what I used 99.98% of the time... Only time I use anything else is when I'm making brownies and EVOO just wouldn't taste right. :D

petey_c said:
SWMBO thinks I might be allergic. Every time I eat sauteed onions the bedroom stinks! Hmmm, think I need to see a professional?

You probably just need to eat MORE of them, or have them more often so that you get used to them. Sort of how people usually need to get their system acclimated to the greatness of homebrew in order for the effects to subside... Of course, if she continues to complain, you can just start making "Dutch Oven's" after eating onions... :eek: Although that might put you onto the couch those nights. :drunk:

BTW, how can anyone actually HATE onions??? Granted I don't like all of them raw, but some are good (in moderation)... I'm not about to eat one like an apple...

I have to agree with pretty much everything you just said... Haven't had too much time with shallots, but I LOVE cooking with onions... Especially Vadalia onions...

Best way I've found to combat the tears when cutting them up... Chill them in the fridge at least overnight before you go cutting into them. Cut the ends off, then give them a quick rinse in cold water and it's all good.

I use onions in so much of what I cook it would truly SUCK if I couldn't eat them anymore. Almost as bad if I suddenly couldn't eat fresh garlic... Only thing that tops the list would be beer, or anything fermented. :eek: Hell, I even saute some onions and mushrooms when making taco's... I think my blood is part EVOO now too. It's what I used 99.98% of the time... Only time I use anything else is when I'm making brownies and EVOO just wouldn't taste right. :D

Shallots are nice because they're almost like a little garlicy onion. I think it was Tony Bordaine's first book, talking about the differences between "restaurant food" and "home food," and one of the biggies was all the shallots he uses every night. I'll julienne them or chop them into little cubes, either with or in substitute for onions/garlic, then sweat them out to bring out the savory goodness.

It's almost like... what's that Japanese word for the "fifth sense"? Umami? That kind of basic underlying savoriness. That's kind of what all of these things bring to food for me.

I love EVOO, too, but I've been cooking with more butter lately as well (or mixing EVOO with butter); just seems to do a better job at browning.

I have a friend who is a kitchen manager, he's brought that up.

People just say it so you wont add it anyways? I don't if you don't order it hey shouldn't get it right?

Shallots are nice because they're almost like a little garlicy onion. I think it was Tony Bordaine's first book, talking about the differences between "restaurant food" and "home food," and one of the biggies was all the shallots he uses every night. I'll julienne them or chop them into little cubes, either with or in substitute for onions/garlic, then sweat them out to bring out the savory goodness.

It's almost like... what's that Japanese word for the "fifth sense"? Umami? That kind of basic underlying savoriness. That's kind of what all of these things bring to food for me.

I love EVOO, too, but I've been cooking with more butter lately as well (or mixing EVOO with butter); just seems to do a better job at browning.

Butter+EVOO=:D:D:D:D GREATNESS

I typically have some rue in the fridge so that I can use it whenever I want/need to... Of course I use butter to make it... I think it's a federal crime to NOT use butter when making rue. :rockin:

I've heard of people who have non-allergy related dietary restrictions (kosher, vegan etc) claiming an allergy since they have experienced that some restaurants respect that more than an ethical, health related or religious abstention.

The only diet I know of that excludes onions is the Jain diet and I believe they would generally be smart enough to realize the sauce has onions and probably wouldn't be in Wyoming anyway (given the pervasiveness of onion and garlic in food I understand Jains pretty much can't eat prepared food in the US outside of NYC which has Jain restaurants or other South Asian restaurants that cater to Jains).

So yeah, these people don't like onions and are trying to outsmart you. I guess you have to learn to roll with it but I'm sure it is tempting to refuse to serve her due to the medical liability or something. It would be nice if people would try to simply order what they want and then get cute later IF you screw up and won't make it right. My approach to restaurants is that if I can't simply order something off the menu and be happy with it I should probably be at a different restaurant, but I am not at all picky.

I love onions. I would be tempted to tell them we can't serve you because everything here has potentially come in contact with onions...and they're in the sauce. But you're dealing with customers and have to have a bit of restraint. I would have sooo wanted to tell that lady; "Then you're not allergic to onions if you ate a pizza from here last week. I know what's in the sauce."

Also love shallots. And imo the bottom, white part of green onions don't get enough love. They're onions too. I don't know if leeks are actually a type of onion (they look like ginormous green onions) but I like them too.

Back