Thoughts on my 1056 fermentation "incident"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoweeZowee

Reaction score
Last saturday I brewed an IPA with O.G. of 1066 and pitched a wyeast 1056 1.5L starter at 70F. From saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon vigorous fermentation brought the temp up to ~73F according to my aquarium thermometer strip. At this point I had some concern about the rising temp considering that I usually ferment this recipe around 68F. By this morning (monday) the temp was up to ~75-76F. Something needed to be done, so I threw the whole setup into a cooler with ice and left the house. When I got back about 4 hours later for lunch the temp was down to 64F - too low! The beer seems to be stable at about 66F right now and I am trying to slowly bring it up to 68F.

This beer tends to be clean and crisp in taste. 1056 tends to showcase the malts and hops, but I have experienced some "banana" flavored esters from this yeast before. Anyhow, I am just curious about others experiences with 1056 and what effect you think 24hrs of fermentation at ~75F will do to the flavor profile. I'm not overly concerned about my beer, I just needed a reason to talk about 1056 - my favorite.:mug:

I doubt 64f really counts as too cold for 1056; I'm fairly certain there are people around here who run it at 60.

1056 is supposed to be better than some others (e.g., s-04) with regard to throwing banana at higher temps, but I'm guessing you're going to get at least a bit.

I suppose the range is stated as 60-72F, but I haven't had very good attenuation below 67F. Should I kick it down further than 68F into the 64-66F range since it was probably imparting more flavors at the high temp?

Pending my first sample during transfer from the primary to secondary, I may leave the beer in the secondary for a few extra days to try to clean up any off flavors. It's hard to say before tasting it during transfer, especially because I have always felt that I detect quite a bit of banana flavor and smell during the early stages of 1056 fermentation.

I also failed to mention that I my fermentation temp usually ramps to about 71-72F for the first day of high yeast activity and then comes back down to 68F on it's own. This brew just kept going up.

I certainly wouldn't worry about the 64 degree temp. That's nothing. Regarding esters, you'll probably get some, but I wouldn't expect them to be overpowering or even distracting. This yeast is fairly forgiving.

Don't worry too much about it. At the beginning of the summer I brewed 2 batches of blonde ale with 1056 in my closet that was a constant 72 F. I didn't have any significant, or even detectable esters in either batch. I have since built a fermentation chiller and have done another batch of the blonde at 62 F, and an APA at 62. Both of them attenuated just like at the higher temps, it just took them about an extra week to finish. I should say, though, that with the APA I bumped up the temp 2 F/day to 70 after the krausen fell. In this time it went from 1.018-1.014. I'm not sure if raising the temperature was necessary, but it was easy to do and I figured it was a bit of "insurance".

On a side note, I used to use 001 for the blonde and had one disaster batch that fermented at 76+ for the first 5 days. That one didn't have any esters either, and from my experience 1056 and 001 are essentially the same. I wouldn't let it happen again, but that one time it did work out.

I had an IPA get up to 74F with that yeast and it had noticeable alcohol heat. Too bad really.

I have had great results with 001 at 62-64 degrees. No difference in attenuation. Very clean. YMMV.

Eric

Back