Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to sweeten with sugar, after fermentation is complete add 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate. Stir well with a sanitized spoon and leave for ~24 hours before adding the sugar. Add the sugar mixture and leave ~3 days to make sure fermentation doesn't resume. If you stabilize like this you'll have to force carbonate of course since the yeast will be out of commission. ;)

Alternatively you can just go with Ed's suggestion and add 7up or Sprite when serving.

Good thing I didn't throw my garbage away yet :p The package says Lalvin D 47. It is a Canadian company. Its a 5gram dry yeast. A guy at the LHBS recommended it to me because they were out of Montrachet. Anyone try this out yet? There are bubbles flying up the side of the carboy like no other, looks like a giant bottle of orange pop. Hopefully this'll turn out as tasty as I hear it does with the Montrachet.

has anyone else used Lalvin D-47? I was in Flagstaff which has a LHBS :rockin: unlike my home town :mad: , but they were out of Montrachet...

David - what was your final result (sorry if I missed it in this massive thread).

has anyone else used Lalvin D-47? I was in Flagstaff which has a LHBS :rockin: unlike my home town :mad: , but they were out of Montrachet...

David - what was your final result (sorry if I missed it in this massive thread).

I used D-47 on my first AW batch and was really happy with it... until I made the next batch with Montrachet. If you want less apple character to come through, and you really don't want to experience the Rhino Fart part of the fermentation, then D-47 works wonderfully. Having used both I wouldn't hesitate to use the Lalvin if that was all that was available, but if you want to retain more apple character and what I believe is a more true to style end product I'd use the Montrachet.

actually yeah a month ago I mixed 2.5 gallons lucky leaf with 2.5 gallons giant eagle. Tastes very different, and good from my other ones. +1

Nice. I am attempting one with 6 different types of apple juice. Hopefully, the flavours will complement each other.

Chalk me up to the apfelwein crowd! Bottled my first brew (BB Altbier) Wednesday night and as I was washing out the carboy thought "There's no time like the present!" Of course, already had the ingredients. So, followed EdWort's recipe using 2lbs corn sugar, Montrachet yeast, and 5 gallons of apple juice (White House brand).

Had a little foam Thurs AM when I left for work. Came home last night to a 1"+ krausen and the distinct aroma of rotten eggs. This morning, the aroma and krausen were about gone and I had a nice 3-4 bubbles/sec coming out of my 3-pc airlock.

Now all I need is another carboy to start another batch. I'm sure this one will go quickly.

I'm currently making some grape juice wine in a one gallon water jug. Grape juice, 2 1/2 cups of sugar dissolved in water and half of a champagne yeast packet. This is only my second batch ever. I ordered a better bottle and will be making apfelwein by Wednesday night..

My question is, how different is the gallon project I have going now from the apfelwein project? The ingredients are almost the same, except for the extra water- can I let it ferment for four weeks?
My first batch I bottled after 2.. Maybe a bit early? I would love to get any feedback on these small one gallon batches.
Cheers
E

Wow, made 2 1/2 gallons of this and everybody seems to love it. SWMBO likes it with some Sprite, friends like it straight. I can't keep myself from raiding the bottles. I can see now why it is recommended to start another batch within two weeks. This stuff is pretty amazing. When I made it I really wasn't sure I'd like it, sounded too simple to be good. I have been shown the light, thanks Edwort. I plan to have a dedicated fermenter for this one!

I'm currently making some grape juice wine in a one gallon water jug. Grape juice, 2 1/2 cups of sugar dissolved in water and half of a champagne yeast packet. This is only my second batch ever. I ordered a better bottle and will be making apfelwein by Wednesday night..

My question is, how different is the gallon project I have going now from the apfelwein project? The ingredients are almost the same, except for the extra water- can I let it ferment for four weeks?
My first batch I bottled after 2.. Maybe a bit early? I would love to get any feedback on these small one gallon batches.
Cheers
E
I don't know but I'll find out when I take a sample in a months time, I used welches 100% juice. It's bubbling happily away. :rockin:
img_0558.jpg

Just started my first 5 gallon batch of this stuff and WOW is it stanky! I had it sitting in my bedroom at first but I woke up to some loud bubbling and a foul, foul smell. I have it locked away deep in a closet now. Can't wait to taste the stuff :)

i've been interested in making this stuff since i first stumbled upon this GIGANTIC thread a few weeks ago.. once one of my carboys clears up, it's on like donkey kong, son!

Man, I love Apfelwein.

Just bottled my first batch and kept a few litres without bubbles. SWMBO is drunk already ; )

Thanks EdWort!

I used Mott's Natural Juice which was cloudy to being with and after 4.5 weeks my batch still hasn't cleared out. Should I just leave it alone and hope it clears, throw a clearing agent in it, or just not worry about it and drink it?

I used Mott's Natural Juice which was cloudy to being with and after 4.5 weeks my batch still hasn't cleared out. Should I just leave it alone and hope it clears, throw a clearing agent in it, or just not worry about it and drink it?

My Guess is that if the juice wasn't clear to begin with....it's not going to clear any time soon.

You could try some Gelatin before you just go forth and drink.

My Guess is that if the juice wasn't clear to begin with....it's not going to clear any time soon.

You could try some Gelatin before you just go forth and drink.

After reading more into the thread I found a similar post by EdWort so I figure I'll just go ahead and get it into bottles soon. Thanks for the help.

It won't clear for at least 4 months, and the taste is completely different than if you had used apple juice. I know because I've done lots of both recently. Unfiltered juice comes out thicker and more like cider, but it's still good (just not true AW).

I tried gelatin to clear motts natural with no luck. So I then used bentonite and it cleared somewhat but still a little cloudy. Then I used pectin enzyme and it was crystal clear in 2 days.

Ok, so I jumped on the Apfelwein bandwagon. I like watching this stuff ferment; It kinda dances. Here is my big contribution to the thread. Hehe.

[youtube]owgMZ869Ngs[/youtube]

IMG_0355.jpg

It won't clear for at least 4 months, and the taste is completely different than if you had used apple juice. I know because I've done lots of both recently. Unfiltered juice comes out thicker and more like cider, but it's still good (just not true AW).

I made a clear 14% Apple wine with organic unfiltered juice which is still bulk aging... Pectic enzyme clears it right up. You may need quite a bit. I used 1tsp per gallon and will probably add a little more at next racking.

I just put my first batch of Apfelwein in my carboy and now I'm drinking some Moosbacher Lager for the bottles. What a great day. :mug:

IMG00022.jpg

I think I might have over filled my carboy though :drunk:

So i've searched the thread a few times and i do have a quick question. I started my apfelwein in early march, but due to a variety of circumstances, it hasn't been bottled yet. I read in one post where someone suggested repitching some yeast when bottling to make sure it carbs okay. To do this, would i simply need to add the yeast to the bottling bucket or is there something more to it than that?

So i've searched the thread a few times and i do have a quick question. I started my apfelwein in early march, but due to a variety of circumstances, it hasn't been bottled yet. I read in one post where someone suggested repitching some yeast when bottling to make sure it carbs okay. To do this, would i simply need to add the yeast to the bottling bucket or is there something more to it than that?

Nope in the bottling bucket is good. It'd probably carb after awhile but the extra yeast should help to speed things up.

I don't know what all this "three pints before you judge" business is all about. I'm working on my second pint and it's only been in the carboy for three weeks. Anyone ever drank an entire 5 gallons from the carboy before the stuff's even ready to bottle? If not, I'll do my damndest to be the first.

I made a clear 14% Apple wine with organic unfiltered juice which is still bulk aging... Pectic enzyme clears it right up. You may need quite a bit. I used 1tsp per gallon and will probably add a little more at next racking.

How do you get 14% with Apple juice? Care to share your recipe?

I don't know what all this "three pints before you judge" business is all about. I'm working on my second pint and it's only been in the carboy for three weeks. Anyone ever drank an entire 5 gallons from the carboy before the stuff's even ready to bottle? If not, I'll do my damndest to be the first.

Hell yeah. I have siphoned 5 gallon carboys right off to a glass filled with ice cubes. Never even made it to bottling stage haha :ban:

How do you get 14% with Apple juice? Care to share your recipe?

Add sugar until the hydrometer reads 1.100. :rockin: Don't go over 24 Brix (about 1.110), or Montrachet will stall out. Oh, and don't use an airlock for the first 4-5 days at that high of a gravity, it needs access to oxygen.

If you try it that strong... allow at least six months. I tasted it after two months and it was nast-ay yeasty alcohol burn.

Was I supposed to make a starter with the Montrachet yeast? >.<

According to the recipe:

the recipe said:
  • Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
  • Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.

So I was in the need for brewing something the other day and had purchased 5 gal of apple juice a couple of weeks prior, trouble was I didn't have corn sugar and only had a package of Notty. So for kicks I dumped a pound of DME in the carboy the 5 gal of apple juice and pitched the Notty. Hoping for some maltyness in this one, it happily chugging away right now.

Once i get the current batch done is there any reason i couldn't/shouldn't just start a new batch on top of the yeast cake in there? I know the yeast is super cheap but the LHBS is a pretty good drive at 4 bucks a gallon. Also has anyone ever seen corn sugar at a grocery store? i look everytime i go into a new store but never see it for sale.

Once i get the current batch done is there any reason i couldn't/shouldn't just start a new batch on top of the yeast cake in there? I know the yeast is super cheap but the LHBS is a pretty good drive at 4 bucks a gallon. Also has anyone ever seen corn sugar at a grocery store? i look everytime i go into a new store but never see it for sale.
I remember reading in a previous post from Edwort that, he was unhappy with the results of reusing an old yeast cake as it took much longer to finish. As for the corn sugar the only place I have seen it is on Homebrew and Bodybuilding supply sites. I have seen it in my local health food store but they stopped carrying it because it wasn't selling. purchase online from a flat rate shipper (AHB or northernbrewer) and order extra.

Okay, just my 2nd day fermenting the apfelwein and the airlock smells of ........well, apple juice! Is there something wrong with that? No alcohol smell (that you would normally associate with beer making), just sweet apple juice.

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

I plan on bottling half carbonated and half still. What's the best method?? Transferring the entire 5 gallons into the bottling bucket, then bottling half of it and then adding approx. 1/2 the regular amount of priming sugar??

Or would just putting approx. 2 1/2 tsp of sugar in each 12 oz. bottle work just as easily???

Back