Coopers stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there has anyone made a irish stout from coopers before?
Just wondering because i am making a 6 gallon batch of the stuff and just wondering if anyone has tasted it before.
It will be made if nothing goes wrong with the fermentation stage.
As stated in my other thread that i have started.

On the fifth day and only little to non activity at the airlock, dont know if its done fermenting or not since its only the fifth day.

I tasted a regular stout from coopers, pretty good, gets better when bottled for a few months!

Still feels like im not making beer with these coopers cans... lol

As Vic has already stated the airlock is not the end-all be-all indicator when it comes to fermentation. That's why it is so important to take an accurate gravity reading just before you pitch your yeast.

I am a new brewer myself and I felt I was pretty patient. But I just opened a bottle of my Bavarian Wheat that has been sitting in my basement closet conditioning for over 3 weeks now and the beer is so much better than it was at 2 weeks in the bottle (just like the veteran brewers here have said it would). Let your beer do it's thing and not worry over it.

Ok thanks i have tryed to use the hydrometer before in the past and couldn't understand it so i dont use it and have been able to get good results too.
Thats why i was worrying about the batch.

i have made some awesome stouts from the coopers kits as well. i recomend playing around with them to meet your taste buds requirements. i have 2 more days for bottle conditioning on my last batch of stout. but i cheated and had one already. im gonna do that again with one of my groulers tonight.

great thats what i want to do because i love drinking stout beers, and Guinness back her in PA is 40 a case unlike 24 back in AZ.

Just did one today for the OL, she likes those Coopers kit beers. Added 1.5 lbs of pilsner malt and 8 oz of corn sugar. Always turns out great and only takes a half hour to make. As I type it is fermenting like a mofo, the yeast provided with the can takes off super fast/ and is very tolerant to high temps.
AP

i didnt use the yeast packet that came with the kit i use a irish ale yeast from white labs instead. I know that will change the dynamics of the beer but i have been using white labs with my brews and the i liked the end result from the white labs yeast strains.
Mine started fermenting like a mofo in the first six hrs now its slow, the last few days it has been doing nothing. Since i move it to a different location it fermenting again but slowly.

When i go to rack the beer to the secondary carboy i know that i have to siphon it. But my question is can i just transfer the batch to the carboy by opening the spout on the primary carboy into the secondary or will it screw up the batch?

When i go to rack the beer to the secondary carboy i know that i have to siphon it. But my question is can i just transfer the batch to the carboy by opening the spout on the primary carboy into the secondary or will it screw up the batch?

If you mean turning on the tap, don't try it that way it will splash and become aerated.

Why are you going to transfer the beer to another carboy? After about 10 days to 2 weeks I just move the primary bucket or carboy into the fridge for a couple of days, then into the keg or bottling bucket. I think the "secondary" is just a waste of time.
AP

I am transfeing to another carboy because i dont have a keg or kegerator, thats why. Also thx about the tap thats what i thought but was just making sure so i dont screw up the batch.

Also this coming monday will be 15 days that the beer has been fermenting should i rack after the fifthteen day or should i leave it in the primary carboy?
If it still has activity at the airlock i will leave it but if theres no activity for a long time i beleive i will rack it.

Back