Adding Honey to a wheat beer that is too bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricS

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer a while back and apparently added to much hops. I was thinking of possibly adding about 1.75 cups of honey to the keg (5 gallons still left) to try and make it a honey wheat and balance out the bitterness. Is it to late in the game to try this? How can I get the honey to mix, I am afraid at my kegerator temps it will just clump up inside.
Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Honey is highly fermentable sugar... you'll probably be left with beer thats dryer (and even more bitter) than when you began. You could make another batch of less hopped wheat beer and mix them together, or add a small amount of splenda, ot drink it...

I would think unless you mix another batch and combine them the only other option is unfermentable sugar.

Yeah, there's a good chance the honey will ferment unless the keg's cold enough.

you'd be better off with some lactose, which can't ferment, to backsweeten to balance bitterness.

my 2 cents at least.

I just drank a pint of it and it was not as bad as I initially thought. I have had a cold that last few days and my taste is way off. I am going to leave it as is for now, I am having some people over tomorrow night and will let them decide since I really only brew wheat beers for my wife and friends.

Back