Beer Sphere!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREMBLE

Reaction score
I have just got hold of a Hambleton Bard Beer Sphere for a very low price, cheap enough that I bought it without knowing much about it!

It is a plastic presurre barrel that can take a gas cylinder. I know most people here seem to use corny kegs but was just wondering if anyone has any experience they can share with this type of barrel, it seem very similar to those King Keg type barrels if anyone has used those.

Most interested in how/if I prime the keg, if gas cylinders are manditory and if they are any good! I do like the idea of being able to put a whole batch in the barrel with a minimum of washing/sterilising.

I have never used such a system but I have heard mixed reviews. Most of the time from the kit of brew ingredients that came with the system. I have an aversion to plastic. I know that it sounds silly and that it has been proven beyond doubt that plastic is a good keeper when kept clean and sanitized. I was raised to brew using glass or stainless and that is what use.

I say try different scenarios - experiment with it a bit and if it works out great - if not get yourself a corney.

Good luck!

- WW

I'm not familier with the Bee Sphere, but it sounds interesting. I found the users guide for this puppy online. It looks like it uses the little CO2 cartridges for dispensing pressure, but you can aquire a Hambelton Super 30 refillable CO2 cartridge.

BeerSphere Instructions PDF

I've been using the BeerSphere for years now. I only use them for British style ales as they do not allow the degree of carbonation for lager types brews etc.

I prefer to let them self carbonate for my English bitters, but do have CO2 if needed. I tend to be able to pull 3 (UK) pints at once without adding gas.

They are easy to clean/sanitise, just fill with your prefered solution. Avoid sodium met. as the brass fittings don't like it. Use vasilene (petrolium jelly) on the O ring and threads of the cap. Don't over tighten the cap as they can be hard to undo.

Good brewing.

Ian

Good to hear it works ok!

When you say it does not allow the carbonation for Lagers etc do you mean it does not fully carbonate in the sphere or that it looses its carbonation after a while in there?

I was under the impression the gas bottle (just got hold of one) was purely to provide pressure so it would pour properly, as it uses a float to draw beer from the top. Does this actually provide some carbonation as well?

I am about to make a new batch and whatever I make is going into the barrel, my choices are a Bavarian Lager or a stout. I was planning on putting the Lager in there as I thought it would actually improve the carbonation having a gas bottle but maybe I should make the stout instead... hhmmm need to make my mind up pretty quick!

I imagine that injected CO2 does add some carbonation as CO2 readily dissolves within H2O. The main amount is from the yeast however.

This type of barrel is designed to dispense ales at low carbonation levels and has safety valves to vent any excess to ensure that the barrel doesn't burst.

Just a word of warning here............. Only ever give a bust of gas for a maximum of 1 second. Don't give more than 1 at a time. If you give too much the rubber valve can freeze and you may burst the barrel.

The main reason to add gas as you rightly pointed out is to provide serving pressure.

The stout will be fine but unless you enjoy flattish lager leave that to a system that allows forced carbonation like the Corny keg.

My main problem with these barrel types is the tap. To get to a smooth head I have to overflow the glass otherwise I get a glass full of foam.

Ian

I have the Hambleton Bard Beer Sphere. It's good for (English) ales but not so good for lagers as I imagine it cannot contain enough CO2 pressure.

I can pull 3 or 4 UK pints before the head pressure drops to atmospheric (i.e. beer flow stops).

Have had 2 brews in it. Check the lid seals and replace the lid/seal combo if they are at all suspect. My 1st brew kept losing pressure as the seals were poor but after replacing the lid and using vaseline on the o-ring it is fine.

I primed it with 3-4oz of Malto Dextrin for my latest (A stout/porter kit) and the yeast has been producing enough CO2 to dispense all the way to the bottom.

Thanks for the info, I went with the Stout. Made it on Sunday and spent yesterday cleaning up the damn mess as it completly frothed over in the the fermentation bucket. I just use a 5 (Imperial) gallon bucket with lid for brewing so I could not even fit a blow off tube once I first found it overflowing! Really annoying to clean everything all up and come back 2 hrs later to find it all a mess again! :mad:

This is my first attempt at anything other than lager so I hope it turns out nice, after all the mess it better!

Guess it makes it easier to come up with a name though, Surging Stout? Surprising Stout?

Another question for you now, can you get Nitrogen bottles to fit these barrels? I really want Guiness at home! One of the main reasons I have started brewing is the poor quality of Guiness and other beers on tap in many pubs so I would love to be able to do better!

Back