Help with first yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Here's the deal. I saved some liquid irish ale yeast from the bottom of the primary in a batch of beer I made about two weeks ago. It has been properly bottled and has been in the fridge two weeks. I am not ready to use it yet, but I dont all my yeast to die either. So how do I "re-activate" my yeast so that I can collect some more to put back in the fridge for another week or two? Should I make a standard yeast starter? If so, at what stage during the starter phase do I collect the yeast?

Thanks
Chris

You should be fine for a while longer. I make a big starter then portion it into sterile centrifuge tubes I get at work. They have been in the fridge for 6 months now and still wake up fine when i pull one out to make a starter.

As long as it does not get infected I would say just leave it in the fridge.

If you do want to grow more yeast and portion it, I collect after it has all fell out of solution. This yeast will fall out of solution best giving you a more clear beer. This is kinda the genetic engineering by selecting the yeast traits that you like best.

Back