Who's got the cheapest PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilbrew247

Reaction score
Cheapest I could find was Midwest at about $38 for 8-lbs. Anyone else know of a cheaper price?

Found this on another site. I plan on trying this soon.

Recipe for homemade PBW.
"... seems to be a dead ringer for a PBW clone, it even makes your hands feel the same after you have them in it for a while."

The ingredients are rather inexpensive.
7lbs of sodium bicarbonate and percarbonate mixed with 4lbs of sodium metasilicate is much the same thing as PBW.

Get two 3.5lbs containers of Oxi Versatile Free from Walmart/Target etc. and mix it with one 4lbs bag of Red Devil TSP 90 from Ace.

www.walmart.com/ip/Oxi-Clean-Versatile-F...mover-56-oz/11028064

www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=10274

Recipe for homemade PBW.
"... seems to be a dead ringer for a PBW clone, it even makes your hands feel the same after you have them in it for a while."

7lbs of sodium bicarbonate and percarbonate mixed with 4lbs of sodium metasilicate is much the same thing as PBW.

Get two 3.5lbs containers of Oxi Versatile Free from Walmart/Target etc. and mix it with one 4lbs bag of Red Devil TSP 90 from Ace.

brewbrothers.biz has an off brand of PBW but they said in their tests, there was no difference

Recipe for homemade PBW.

One thing I was reading about this homemade clone is that it lacks a chelator, which is important for preventing deposits from hard water. I would try it if not for that. I have extremely hard water.

One thing I was reading about this homemade clone is that it lacks a chelator, which is important for preventing deposits from hard water. I would try it if not for that. I have extremely hard water.

I have pretty soft water and have used this recipe with the Sun Oxygen cleaner and Red Devil TSP (3:1). Works extremely well. Never an issue with deposits (and I have left it sitting in kegs for a couple of weeks.

I have pretty soft water and have used this recipe with the Sun Oxygen cleaner and Red Devil TSP (3:1). Works extremely well. Never an issue with deposits (and I have left it sitting in kegs for a couple of weeks.

Yeah with soft water I'm sure the Oxy + TSP works great. With hard water you might start to have issues with mineral deposits.

I know vinegar is frequently used on hard water deposits. Is there any reason it couldn't be thrown in with the mix?

Cheapest I could find was Midwest at about $38 for 8-lbs. Anyone else know of a cheaper price?

That's about right. Find one that is free shipping too. Make sure it comes with the pbw bottle.

(Best deal is a group buy, the 5 gallon buckets)

Ive been using a 2:1 mix of Sun cleaner (generic oxy) and TSP. My water is average hardness. That mix works very well for me and is quite inexpensive.

The more you buy the cheaper it is... that said I usually only buy 2-lbs myself on ebay... heres someone who has it by the pound http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-lb-Five-S...724732?hash=item20dc6782fc:g:9PkAAMXQUmFSpPKL

heres 4 lbs http://www.ebay.com/itm/PBW-4lbs-4-...583524?hash=item1a05ed3d64:g:nv4AAOSwgNRV8uFH

Keep in mind I if your one of those people who need "Support" with your purchase you may be better off paying $14 a pound for piece of mind from a reputable dealer :p

I use oxyclean too and it works almost the same but it doesnt rinse clean as easily.

Back