Hop combos for rye ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
I'm developing a recipe for a rye ale and am looking for some input on good hop combinations. I've already developed what I'd like to think is a killer rye IPA but would like to scale back on the hop flavor / bitterness and showcase the malt and rye characteristics.

Right now, I have centennial, chinook, nugget, warrior, mt. hood, amarillo (whole leaf), and glacier on hand. I've made the rye IPA twice, once with a chinook / centennial blend and the 2nd time with all amarillo - both were very good in their own ways but the all amarillo beer stands out as the best (very similar to Founder's Red's Rye).

Anywho, like I said before, I'm looking to use a different combination and shift the balance toward the malt. My initial thoughts were to use chinook, nugget, or warrior for a small bittering charge and then mt. hood or possibly glacier (a variety that I'm not crazy about) for finishing, with about 30-35 IBU max. Yeast-wise, I'm looking at Notty most likely. Grist will probably be about 50% 6-row (it's what I have on hand), 30% rye, 10% munich, 7% crystal 120, 3% special b.

Anybody have any suggestions for a hop combo from what I have available that would go well with the rye character of the beer?

Warrior for bittering and Mt. Hood for flavor/aroma would do the best job. Make your flavor add at 15 and aroma at 5. and do not dry hop.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Clean bitterness from Warrior and some earthy, spicy aroma and flavor from Mt. Hood would likely pair pretty well with a rye ale.

Not sure if you get Terrapin where you are but they make a great rye pale. The head brewer and owner, Spike, is one of those brewers that spills his guts on CYBI so as a reference the 5 gallon clone uses:

.75oz - Bravo - bittering
1oz - Fuggles - 30min
.5oz - EKG - 20 & 10 minutes
1oz - Cascade - flame out
1oz - Amarillo - dry hop

I don't know the AA of each so take the weights with a grain of salt. I brewed it before the light bulb went on in my head that I should care about the AA at my LHBS vs other people recipes. :drunk:

I do get Terrapin and love their rye pale. I'd like to do something along those lines but with a bigger malt presence. I've never used Bravo but have some clean bittering hops that should do the trick. I'll probably sub glacier for fuggles/ekg as it's what I have. THanks for the input guys.

Back