Show Us a Nice Pair ...ing!!!-Favorite food/ beer combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
I enjoy good beer and good food as much as anyone, but I do not consider myself a foodie and I usually just skim the food recipes/ pairings in BYO and Zymurgy. But tonight I cooked an awesome dish that went so well with the beer I happened to have on hand I want to know what others are enjoying.

I made venison backstrap pinwheels with bleu cheese and spinache filling, chicken fried venison steaks, fresh steamed broccoli, and salad with spicy salsa dressing. I served this sumptious feast along with Santa Fe Brewing's Chicken Killer Barleywine. The rich and creamy venison dish went extremely well with this balanced barleywine-hoppy malty goodness and the freshest lean meat you can get without carving off strips in the field!!!

What are your favorite brew and food combinations? And PLEASE share recipes and pics :mug:

How 'bout brats and homebrew?

IMG_1977_small.jpg

grilled chicken salad and a pale ale

Grilled_chicken_salad.jpg

chili and an amber ale

IMG_2166.jpg

homemade pizza and a pale ale

pizza_and_beer1.jpg

I'm still learning beer&food combinations.

I had brie cheese and Lindemans Cuvée René, which was a pretty damn good combo.

There's a book out there called He said beer, She said wine, co-written by Sam Calagione, that talks about both wine and beer pairings. Pretty useful tool for a beginner such as myself.

A good super-sharp white cheddar sliced thick on triscuits and a nice IPA (e.g. Bell's Two Hearted) is a match made in heaven.

Buffalo Wings!!

At my house I've kind of modified the wing process. I have a fire pit on the patio that I bought a perforated steel grill to cover. I get a good set of coals going and put the grill on. I use whole wings that have a few dry seasonings on. Garlic Salt, pepper, etc. Then grill away. Then I set up 2 or 3 bowls with a few sauces. Traditional buffalo hot sauce, usually a garlic sauce and sometimes something more in the barbecue range.

Buffalo Wings!!

At my house I've kind of modified the wing process. I have a fire pit on the patio that I bought a perforated steel grill to cover. I get a good set of coals going and put the grill on. I use whole wings that have a few dry seasonings on. Garlic Salt, pepper, etc. Then grill away. Then I set up 2 or 3 bowls with a few sauces. Traditional buffalo hot sauce, usually a garlic sauce and sometimes something more in the barbecue range.

What about the BEER??? :confused:

How about beef stew made with an Argentinian Malbec, paired with a belgian strong dark?

I'd say Blue cheese on anything with an IPA, also.

I love a good American Pale and and Pasta. With my steaks I like Oktoberfests (Sam Adams).

I like potato chip and pilsner for football.

aufd6t.jpg

"Sunny Side Wheat and Pasta Fresca"

BEER: "Sunny Side Wheat"
Batch size: 11 gal (41.6 L)
OG: 1.052 (12.8 Plato)
IBU: 30.0
SRM: 5.
Efficiency: 72%

12 lbs. (5.44 kg) 2-row Pale
8 lbs. (3.63 kg) Wheat Malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich
0.5 lb. (0.22 kg) Crystal 40L

1.25 oz. (35 g) Cascade 60 min
1.25 oz. (35 g) Willamette 60 min
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade 10 min
1 oz. (28 g) Willamette 10 min

Yeast: US-05 (Kolsch Yeast works well in this beer too)

M*A*S*H: 152F (66 *C), 60 min.

(Serve with an orange slice).

FOOD: Pasta Fresca:

12 oz. vermicelli pasta
6 oz. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic (either fresh or roasted), minced
3-4 roma tomatoes, diced
half a red onion, diced
1 oz. fresh basil
1 oz. fresh oregano
1 oz. fresh parsley
4 oz. Calamata olives
8 oz. freshly grated parmesan cheese

(Serve cold.)

Note: This beer is not only a great session beer, but it also goes great with almost any food: pasta, salads, burgers, Mexican, etc.

TANSTAAFB, keep your eye out for Santa Fe Brewing's Kickin Chicken. It's their Barleywine that's been aged in a Wild Turkey Barrel for 6 months. I had one last night. I'm not a huge "oaked beer" fan but this stuff was pretty tasty. Lots of whisky flavor too it. Sorry, I don't have any food pairing suggestions for ya.

168211_891945182770_22925584_48215494_5839929_n.jpg

Oatmeal stout and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with 2x baked potato and sweet corn!!!

I like chicken or salad with a pale ale (or English IPA if I happen to have one).

Trader Joe's chicken tenders thawed while marinating in pale ale or IPA and rubber with grocery store "applewood" rub. BBQ'd over mesquite.

pizza, chili, or mexican food with an IPA
Pizza crust recipe: http://allrecipes.com/PersonalRecipe/62231725/Hearty-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Chili recipe:
1# bison
.5# pork sausage

1/2 large onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 jalepeño (seeded & chopped)
2-4 habeñero (chopped)

2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt

30 oz tomato sauce
15 ounces kidney beans
15 ounces pinto beans
12 ounce sof IPA (not sure how much flavor this adds after all the spice, so sometimes I dump in whatever is in the fridge, just to bulk up the chili)

And of course the all time classic... burger and a stout! Stout (or Scotch Ale) with chocolate ice cream is pretty tasty too.
Burger recipe:
1# beef
some chopped onion
some chopped garlic
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp grocery store "hamburger" spices
8 ounces of guinness extra stout (or any good roasty stout)

And I apologize, but I usually eat my food before I think to take a picture!

Had a chololate porter I made about 1 year ago and paired it with some german chololate cake and it was amazing. The beer made the cake seem less bitter, and the cake brought out the chocolate flavor in the beer! Sorry too long ago no pics.

I do like to make chili and stews with a pumpkin beer, or a BBQ sauce with a porter is always nice.

No pics, since it's not in season.

But Chile Relleno, black beans, cornbread + Stout = awesome.

Wife and I probably eat/drink that twice a week when the green chiles are in season.

No pics, since it's not in season.

But Chile Relleno, black beans, cornbread + Stout = awesome.

Wife and I probably eat/drink that twice a week when the green chiles are in season.

Alright, you can't post that tease w/o at least a recipe. SWMBO and I are moving to S. CO for grad school and JUST caught the beginning of the Hatch season when we were out there interviewing and scoping the scene. I LOVE New Mexican food, I am a chile whore, and I can't wait to get out there :p

What is your favorite chile beer (I liked Eske's, not too thrilled withe Santa Fe's) and what is your favorite pairing?

Back